Chapter 1

"Wooooo!"

    Nora cringed as yet another round of screaming took place. Reasons I hate bachelorette parties, she thought, taking another sip of her too-sweet cocktail. Her best friend, Emma, was in the process of untangling herself from the various thongs that had been put on her as one of the "bachelorette games." Help me! she mouthed in Nora's direction, causing Nora to snort into her drink. Why on earth anyone would decide to have 8 bridesmaids and groomsmen was beyond her, but then opening up the bachelorette party to anyone who wanted to come? Absolute madness.

    Nora rose from her place on the couch and weaved through the various women to make her way to the bride to be.

    "Having a good time?" she asked, lifting up a lacy piece of fabric off of Emma's shoulder.

    "I am, but I need a breather."

    "Come on," Nora said, leading her into the kitchen.

    The party was being held at Emma's parent's place, a huge mansion of a house with a sprawling yard that included a pool. Her parents had already tapped out for the evening, opting for a quieter night with the future in-laws. Nora had grown up under much more modest conditions, but that hadn't stopped her and Emma from bonding the moment they met in 3rd grade. They had been fast friends ever since, so when Jason finally proposed to Emma after 4 years of dating, it was almost a given that Nora would be a bridesmaid. She most likely would have been the maid of honor had Emma's sister not held the position. However, Jason had 5 brothers and 3 best friends who had a pact to be in each other's wedding, thus the wedding party grew to be rather large.

A chorus of male laughter echoed in through the patio doors from the outside. The bachelor party had returned from their adventures and were continuing their own party outdoors, giving the ladies full run of the indoors for their own festivities.

"I'm sorry, I know this isn't really your thing." Emma said, leaning against the counter.

Nora chuckled softly, "Is it that obvious?"

"Eh." Emma shrugged, tossing back her long blonde hair. Appearance wise, the two of them were complete opposites. Where Emma was a platinum blonde with dark chocolate eyes, Nora was a soft brunette with green eyes and that wasn't where the differences ended either. Emma was known as the party girl all throughout high school and college while Nora preferred to be curled up on a window seat with the latest novel in hand. If it weren't for Emma, Nora most likely wouldn't go out at all, but the two of them leveled each other out. Nora kept Emma from getting too out of control and Emma returned the favor by making sure Nora wasn't completely anti-social.

"I'm fine, as long as you're having a good time." Nora said, "This party isn't about me. It's about you celebrating your last days of singlehood and me making sure you don't puke all over those new Jimmy Choo's."

"Oh please," Emma said, rolling her eyes, "They're knockoffs and you know it."

Nora simply chuckled and linked her arm through Emma's, "Come on, party girl, if you stay away too long they'll send a search party."

The two women made their way back into the living area where the party was still going strong. They made their way over to the couch that Nora had abandoned and collapsed into it, giggling.

"Oh Nora, I didn't realize you were still here."

Nora closed her eyes in brief annoyance. She had been reasonably successful in avoiding her least favorite person in the world, but naturally all good things come to an end.

"Yes, Theresa, I am still here." she said with false sweetness, attempting to be civil for Emma's sake.

Theresa was Emma's cousin and had been a big part of her life growing up, which was the only reason Nora tolerated her. They had all attended the same high school, but while Emma and Nora had graduated and moved on, Theresa seemed to be stuck in that high schooler mindset. True to form, Theresa merely gave Nora a simpering smile and turned to continue her conversation with another cousin, who's name Nora couldn't recall. Sighing, Nora pulled out her phone to check her email. Her editor had been pushing her hard lately to review submissions for the column she wrote, Notes to Nora, and taking time off for the weekend had put her slightly behind.

"Nora, you're single, right? Pick a card!"

"Huh?" Nora asked, looking up from her phone. She had been completely distracted in her emails and had missed whatever game had been announced. Cindi, Emma's sister, held out a selection of playing cards for Nora to choose from.

"Oh, Nora probably wouldn't like this one," Emma said hesitantly.

"Yeah," Theresa snorted, loudly whispering to the woman next to her, "The most adventurous thing she's ever done is probably missionary."

The two women snickered while Emma glared at them, opening her mouth to say something. Nora quickly elbowed her with a meaningful look.

"I'll take a card," she said, selecting from the pile Cindi extended towards her. "Sounds like fun."

Theresa and her friend snickered again, both selecting cards as well. Emma stared wide-eyed at Nora, clearly knowing something she didn't.

"Nora, I really don't think-"

"Emma, I'm fine," Nora said, downing the rest of her drink quickly. "You're getting married and it's time that I started living a little. What's the worst that could happen?"

Cindi made her way to the front after handing out cards to a few more women.

"Okay, all the single ladies got a card?" she said, smiling as the women with cards cheered. "So you're probably wondering why this game doesn't include the gorgeous bride-to-be, my sister. But it was her favorite game in high school, so clearly we need to play it here, right?"

All the women began to laugh and clear, while Nora looked questioningly at Emma.

"Oh no," she said, pieces starting to fall into place in her mind.

"I tried to warn you," Emma said, shrugging, "But most of the women here are single, I highly doubt you get picked."

"So our parents have this closet in the house where the lock was installed backwards," Cindi continued, "Basically you can lock it from the outside, instead of the inside, which obviously made it the perfect location to play... 7 Minutes in Heaven!"

The women began to hoot and holler as Nora sank further into her seat. Emma passed her the cocktail she had been sipping.

"You need this more than me," she whispered, giggling at Nora's reaction.

"I hate you," Nora said, downing the drink quickly, grateful she was at least feeling the effects of the alcohol at this point. Emma laughed good naturedly and shoved Nora playfully.

"Naturally, we can't play the game without guys so... we got the bachelor's party involved!" Cindi said, laughing, "Now, this is all in good fun and everyone is expected to act like the mature adults we are-"

"Or are not!" shouted someone from across the room to raucous laughter and catcalling.

"Alright, alright, settle down. My point is no one is going to be forced to do something they don't want to, but this may be a good opportunity to meet your own future husband," Cindi said with a wink. Despite how uncomfortable Nora was feeling, she had to hand it to her. Cindi had a knack for being a hostess.

"Okay, so turn your cards around and whoever has the Ace of Hearts, step forward!"

Please, oh please, don't be the ace. Nora thought, suddenly filled with a sick feeling of apprehension. Slowly, she flipped her card over only to reveal the Ace of Hearts.