Chapter 6

"What the hell-"

"You are not driving home drunk," Brendan said slowly, as if Nora wouldn't be able to comprehend him.

"You have a lot of nerve," Nora scoffed, "How dare you?"

"You had a couple of shots at the bar followed by several glasses of wine at the table. You are not fit to drive right now."

"I fail to see how that is any of your business, but-"

"As someone who will also be driving, road safety is my business."

Nora's jaw dropped open to respond, but she quickly shut it in frustration. She crossed her arms and glared up at Brendan, who still had one hand on her car door as if to keep her from trying to open it again.

"And how would you know how much I was drinking?" she finally asked, narrowing her eyes suspiciously, "After you dismissed me, I would have thought that you'd have moved on to other unsuspecting women."

Brendan's mouth curled up on one side into a half smile, one that Nora had to look away from since it was extremely distracting.

"Would that bother you?" he asked, moving his hand so he could rest his arm on the top of her car, causing him to lean over her slightly.

Nora rolled her eyes, "You're such a... a rake!"

"A rake?" he asked, cocking one eyebrow upwards.

Nora felt her cheeks burning. Damn't, Lady Nora, she scolded herself.

"Yes, a rake," Nora huffed, pressing her back into the car to try to create more distance between them. "A rake. It means-"

"I know what it means," Brendan said, stepping in closer to her which caused Nora's heart to race. "A philanderer, a womanizer..."

"B-Brendan..."

"A degenerate," he continued, leaning into to whisper in her ear, his other hand trailing down her arm, "A rogue, seducer of women, ladykiller...

Nora closed her eyes, shuddering slightly as his breath whispered on her ear. His touch on her arm was light as it slowly made its way down her hand. She swallowed hard, unsure if she could even still be mad at him when he was having this kind of effect on her.

"A flirt intent on getting what he wants... such as your keys."

Nora's eyes flew open in shock as Brendan took a step back and, with a smug look on his face, jangled her keys in front of her. He had distracted her so fully that she hadn't realized when he had taken the keys directly from her hand. Her face burned in anger as she lunged for her keys, only for him to pull back further with a laugh.

"You cad!" Nora shouted, no longer caring how old-fashioned she sounded, "That's enough, give me my keys back."

"You may have them back once I drive you home," he said, gesturing to his car.

Nora crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes in what she hoped was a threatening glare.

"Is that a challenge?" he asked, his grin widening. "It's that or I throw you over my shoulder, but I'm not leaving you here by yourself."

"Give me my keys back and you won't have to," Nora said sweetly.

Brendan heaved an exaggerated sigh and moved towards her as if to grab her. Nora quickly threw up her hands in surrender, knowing that this was a battle she would assuredly lose.

"Fine," she said, turning on a heel and stomping towards his car, muttering under her breath about his arrogance. He walked to the passenger side and opened it with an almost courtly flourish.