Chapter 5

By the time detention rolled around I had so much on my mind I didn't know what to do with myself

By the time detention rolled around I had so much on my mind I didn't know what to do with myself. In a way, I was looking forward to some menial task that might take a bit of my attention away from everything I had learned. I was also grateful that my dad wouldn't be working late again tonight, so I might get a chance to ask him about everything I had found out. There has to be a reasonable explanation for it all, right? Another Catherine Montgomery who worked at the same hospital as my parents who just happened to have a daughter my age? Right?

I was taken out of my thoughts when Isaac came through the door. He walked over to where I was sitting on the far side of the classroom, but took a seat a few rows in front of my desk. I tried my best to look away. I tried not to take in the gentle curl of his brown hair, or the curve of his broad shoulders, or the stripes of his cardigan going down his arms, or the--

"And the two of you will restock the janitors closets." Mr. Harris says, looking over at Isaac and I. Isaac turns around and gives me a small smile, before making his way to the stockroom. I can feel my heart betraying me with each pound it makes against my chest. I didn't want to feel like this, to be so nervous of just being around him. I didn't want to feel anything for him. But sometimes the heart doesn't listen to the brain, and that's how I ended up stacking rolls of paper towels in the janitors closet with shaky hands and a racing heart.

"I'm not going to bite El," I hear Isaac whisper next to me, "You don't have to be afraid."

I turn my head to look over at him and our blue eyes meet for a moment. He turns to meet me, and I am once again struck by how tall he really is. Being just above average height, I'm not used to feeling so small. But next to him I feel tiny, both in height and in courage.

"You managed to take out Ethan pretty well, and it didn't look like you bit him at all." I say and watch him shake his head in response. He begins stacking towels again, so I say, "I'm not afraid of you Isaac. I'm just confused."

"You wouldn't understand," He says, still not looking at me, "The thing with those twins... you just wouldn't understand."

"Clearly you think I wouldn't understand a lot of things, seeing as you never called me back." I say, feeling a bit more courage building.

"What, El, I," He stutters, unable to reach my eyes.

"Yeah Isaac, do you not remember? Because I do. The last day of school, does that ring any bells? You came up to me. You said that you had missed me. You said you were sorry about cutting me out of your life in the first place. You said something had happened to make you realize that you didn't want us to keep acting like strangers anymore. You said you had something you needed to do that night but that you would call me, or stop by, or.. or something. And when you didn't I called you. And then I called again. And then, when you never responded, I thought I would just stop by your house but then I realized, no, I can't do that because I don't even know where you live anymore!"