Chapter 18

"You don't have to do this," Isaac argues, but continues driving the dark road back to my house

"You know I do Isaac," I say, looking out the window into the stormy night.

"I don't want you to do this," Isaac offers.

"I don't want my father to be ritually sacrificed," I rebute, and Isaac goes silent for the rest of the ride.

    We pull up to my house and it's like I can still feel the energy from Ms. Blake's attack. The exterior looks the same, as if nothing had even happened, but I know that the moment we step inside we will be greeted by a mess of papers, knives and uprooted house plants. Neither Isaac and I make any moves to open the car door so we just sit listening to the rain falling onto the windshield.

"I don't want to lose you," Isaac whispers, "I know it's selfish, and I know you have to do everything you can to get your father back but I'm so scared that I'm going to lose you again."

    I look over him and our eyes meet in the dark of the car. On the outside he looks so confident in his gray henley shirt and dark coat, but I can tell by the look on his face that he is just as terrified as I am.

"I'm scared too Isaac," I admit, and he takes my shaking hand in his, "If you told me at the start of this year, hell, if you told me a few days ago, that I would be trusting Stiles Stilinski, Scott McCall and the local animal vet with my father's life I would have laughed in your face. Just a few weeks ago I was sunbathing with Danny and my biggest worries were getting through junior year and whether or not I had cut my hair too short. Now I'm in a car with a fucking werewolf, on my way to go get symbolically sacrificed in order to find some magical tree and save my father from a psycho druid. None of this even feels real Isaac, none of it. But all I know is when I walk into that house I'm going to see evidence that my father is in trouble, and I'll be damned if I don't do everything in my power to save his life."

    Isaac's hand reaches up to cup my cheek and I lean into his palm. I feel the warmth of his breath as he leans over to place a kiss on my forehead, and then rest his head on mine. The simple gesture fills me with a strength I didn't know I had in me, and I pull away to open the door.

"We should hurry," I say, jumping out of the car.

    Inside the house is just how we left it, but I avoid the kitchen all together and race up to my dad's room. Isaac and I pause when we enter, and he reaches to grab my shoulder. Everything about the room screams of a person who was just ripped out of thin air. The bed isn't made and my dad's suitcase is still packed from his conference earlier in the week. I try not to focus on it and just start searching for what we came here for.

"What are we looking for?" Isaac asks as he watched me rustling through my dad's dresser.

"His wedding ring," I respond, "He stopped wearing it a few years ago, but I know he keeps in here somewhere."