Chapter 19: Ashley Stops Me

"You're leaving tonight?" Ashley whisper yelled. I put my hand over her mouth and looked around. Nobody had woken up.

  "I have to," I whispered. I hate that I wasn't quiet enough to get out of here without Ashley catching me.

  "What is up with you? Why do you have to leave?" Ashley asked quietly. She had a hurt look in her eyes.

  "I just... I have to...," I started but wasn't sure how to finish it without giving something away.

  "Why can't we come with?" Ashley asked a little louder. Nile moved a little.

  "Quiet! The last thing I need is for Nile to wake up!" I said quietly.

  "Well then maybe I should wake him up," Ashley said with a devilish look on her face.

  "Ashley, don't you dare!" I said a little louder than a whisper.

  Ashley walked over to Nile and looked at him. That wasn't the best decision on Ashley's part seeing as of how I could probably have killed her with the bottle of ketchup I know had in my hands.

  Ashley moved to nudge Nile with her foot but before she could I jumped at her and we skidded across the floor. I held my hand over Ashley's mouth and looked up. Nile had moved slightly and Trent grunted but otherwise they didn't wake up.

  I hushed Ashley and took my hand off of her mouth.

  "How did you do that?" Ashley asked quietly.

  "Do what?" I asked. I didn't exactly know what I had done besides stop Ashley from ruining my life.

  "That! You were able to throw me over Nile and land silently!" Ashley's eyes widened in awe.

  "I'm used to being unnaturally quiet. Now I'm leaving," I said. I let Ashley go and stood up. I leaped over Nile and grabbed my back pack.

  "Please don't," Ashley whispered. In that moment she didn't look or sound like Ashley, she was like...

  "I have to," I said pushing the thought out of my mind.

  "Since we met you we haven't had as many issues as we had before we met you!" Ashley blurted out as soon as I reached the door. I stopped and looked at her.

  "The zombies. You've been able to fight them all off. Beige. You were able to out smart him. Other people. You are able to teach them not to mess with us! If you leave, we have no chance," Ashley said desperately and she just happened to say it loud enough to wake Nile.

  "You're leaving?" Nile asked. He had his arm underneath him and was staring at me. There was that look again.

  "I'm sure you guys will be fine. I really need to do stuff and I can't risk the lives of other people," I said.

  "Whatever you are going to do," Nile said as he stood up. "We are doing it with you."

  "No you aren't. Trent wants you guys to stay here. I'm not staying," I said.

  "Who cares what Trent wants? If you haven't noticed, we have been listening to you," Ashley said.

  "Yeah well, now you listen to Trent," I said.

  "At least let us come with you as far as the coast. Then whatever you want to do, you can do it," Trent said. I was surprised he was awake. He had probably been awake for awhile.

  "I thought you wanted to stay-?"

  "We can't stay in one place forever," Trent said. I thought this through for a moment and then sighed.

  "Fine. As far as the coast. Then I'm leaving," I said. I wasn't sure why I even bothered going to the coast. It wasn't like my friends were alive or anything. I guess now it was just the end of the adventure with these people.

  Ashley let out a breath I didn't know she was holding. Trent smiled his dumb you'll-only-see-this-smile-a-few-times-in-your-life-so-savor-it smile. Nile didn't make a move. If anything his eyes got darker.

  "So, when do we leave?" Ashley asked. She was practically bouncing up and down with excitement.

  "Now," I said. Trent sighed and kicked Van who groaned and punched Trent in the stomach. Ashley and Nile ran around and grabbed as much food as they could. Trent caught Van up on everything that he had missed because he was asleep the whole time.

  After about twenty minutes of running around and trying to get everything we needed we were ready to go.

  "Are you really going to leave us as soon as we get to the coast?" Ashley asked as we started our walk towards the coast.

  I sighed and looked at the sky. It was starting to turn a milky color from the sunrise. As I looked at the lightening colors of the sky I wasn't quite sure of what I was going to do for the first time in my life.

  "I'm not sure yet," I mumbled but I don't think Ash heard me. She just kept her head up and kept walking forward, full of energy and for the second time in less than an hour I didn't see her as Ashley Marks. I saw her as Miranda Gilbert.

-----

A/N

Hey guys, sorry it was short but I thought that was a good place to stop. Yeah?? Nu??

So favorite best friend? Ashley or Miranda??

I'm so proud of myself :) up to chapter 30!! :D

So vote on, comment on, read on, fan on, and feedback on!! (This is getting old... New ending line anyone?)