Chapter 23: Rooftop Run

"One hour," I said. I couldn't get it into my head. We were one hour from the coast, and one hour away from separating. I still wasn't sure where I was going to go or what I was going to try to do. Know that I had owned up to the fact that my dad was one of the people that started this I had nothing to prove. I had nothing to investigate.

  "Then what?" Ashley asked. I looked at her and sighed.

  "Then I leave. Then you guys find somewhere safe," I said. Her eyes were full of sadness.

  "We could come with you," Ashley whispered.

  "No you couldn't. I can't put you guys in any more danger. If I did I would never forgive myself," I said.

  "Our lives aren't your concern. We don't want to separate from you," Ashley said.

  "You might be the only one that wants that," I said, a sad smile crossing my face.

  "Oh yeah? Cause I surely don't want you to leave," Nile said. I swung around and saw him coming out of the house we had stayed in.

  "Well then you two are the only ones. Van and Trent don't like me, I'm positive of that," I said.

  "Well then let us come with you," Ashley said. Her eyes brightened.

  "No. Trent needs you and you need him," I said. Trent and Ashley were closer than any family members I had known. Maybe that was because they were all each other had left.

  "Then let me come with," Nile said.

  "No. You have to stay with them. Three is a dangerously low number," I said.

  Nile sighed and nodded in defeat.

  "We're ready," Van announced as he and Trent came out the door. I nodded and we all headed in the direction of the coast, and my departure.

*

*

*

*

*

  "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" A familiar voice sneered. I stopped abruptly and looked towards the side of the road where the voice had come from.

  "Please tell me you didn't stalk us all the way here," I sighed.

  "Nope. Tracker. The CIA is more advanced than you think. So, no need to track," Darwin said.

  "Want me to knock him out?" Van growled and Darwin did a half smile thing.

  "I'm a CIA agent. You don't scare me, foster kid," Darwin growled.

  Van dropped his mouth and stared at Darwin. "How did you know that?"

  "As soon as I got your names it was easy to do a background check on all of you," Darwin said and rolled his eyes as if it was the most obvious question ever.

  "What would happen if we did a background check on you?" I sneered.

  For a moment I thought a hint of fear crossed his face but it was gone as soon as it had appeared.

  "When was the last time you got near a computer, Richards?" Darwin asked.

  I glared at him and asked, "What did you track us here for anyways?"

  "I was told to keep a watch on you guys. So I'm doing that," Darwin said. At that moment I felt like I could knock him out, which I probably could have, but thought better of it.

  "Whatever. We're going to the coast," I said and started walking again. Darwin slung his back pack back over his shoulder and fell into step beside me.

  "Can I help you?" I asked.

  "Uh, probably not. You know the Internet can give me any answers that I want. There may not be some stuff but the CIA database is still working perfectly,"

  "That's nice," I said. I wasn't going to talk to the person that had injured me in several ways and almost let me get killed.

  We walked in silence for awhile, as in five minutes, until I had to ask the question that had been on my mind for two weeks.

  "Who was that girl?" I asked. Darwin didn't show any sign that he had heard me.

  "Yo, Mr.CIA. Who was that girl?" I asked.

  "Her name is Gia Freen. She was hired by my boss to come after you. She wasn't supposed to try to kill you yet, just get information that may be useful. Needless to say, she didn't do too good," Darwin said.

  "Who's your boss?" I asked.

  "No one knows. He took over after this all started and the original boss was killed. He never contacts anyone personally and he never does anything out of the White House, where he has taken up residence," Darwin said. I could see something flicker in his eyes.

  "Hey! We have company!" Trent yelled up to Darwin and I. I swung around and saw a car coming down the highway we were traveling on.

  "Go!" Nile yelled and he ran for the side of the road. We all followed after him as the car approached at high speed.

  I heard gunshots and I dove behind a small parking garage. I couldn't see any of my friends anywhere. The gunshots kept going off and I heard the car fish tail in the road.

  "They're somewhere around here! Find them!" A voice yelled.

  I knew that voice. I knew who that was. Something clicked in my head. It was a voice I hadn't heard for awhile.

  I heard more gunshots go off and I heard the door of the parking garage get thrown open. I stood up and slowly made my way farther into the cluster of houses.

  "There!" A voice yelled. I immediately ran towards the line of houses I could see. There were people running after me and I ducked and dove around obstacles.

  I skidded to a stop as soon as I saw a large fence in my way. I climbed up it quickly and jumped onto the roof of the house, seeing that it might be the only way to lose them.

  Two people followed me. A man and a woman. I turned and ran towards the next house, jumping onto the close together roofs.

  I skidded to a stop on one roof and looked at the house that was farther away. I looked back and saw the two people getting closer to me. They each had a gun and were pointing them at me. Without another thought I jumped as far as I could. My feet missed the roof but I was able to grab onto it and lift myself up. I ran and saw that my pursuers were no longer pursuing me.

  I stopped and tried to catch my breath but heard gunshots. My head shot up and I saw the person that I had heard.

  "Beige," I whispered.

-----

A/N

Dun dun dun!!! okay so I need to know if there should be a sequel or not! Because if you guys want one I will end this book soonish and start on the next, which will probably be the lastish but I dunno yet...

So let me know!!!

AND!! Off of the last update, I got another 100 reads!! We are now at 733!!! OMG I'M SO EXCITED! I love all of you!

So do yo thang! Read, comment, vote, fan, and feedback on like the awesome nerds you people are!