Chapter Two

Grace sat on the violet chaise longue underneath the violet and white draped window looking out over the vast grounds of Rutherford Court. A heavy, pelting rain fell, streaming down the panes in an endless torrent of water. So much so, she could barely see the topiary garden or the lake with its swimming swans in the distance beyond. What a lovely view it was. A pity it had to rain, she longed to take a walk around the lake, for she had not had the opportunity yet to do so.

She let her mind drift back to the first time she met the marchioness. To her surprise, Lady Rutherford herself had been within the confines of the ornate carriage sent for Grace's use on her way back from London. As Lady Rutherford explained it, she decided to postpone her return to the country estate and collect Grace along the way. It turned out that it was not far out of her way and she was glad to do it, herself not being able to wait to meet her dear friend's daughter.

What a revelation Lady Rutherford turned out to be, vastly different to what Grace had anticipated. A tall, slender lady with a regal manner, Lady Rutherford was the epitome of elegance, but that Grace did expect. The kind, gentle nature she possessed surprised the younger woman. Still stunningly beautiful, she wore her medium dark brown hair, only slightly greying, coiled on top of her head. Her alabaster skin, still unmarked by the advancing years, possessed only a touch of colour at her cheeks. Even though she was four and fifty, she still looked to be in her forties. However, her smile was her best feature of all, when she smiled it seemed to travel right up to the depths of her sapphire blue eyes. A smile she bestowed on Grace often.

During the eight weeks Grace had been in residence at Rutherford Court, she heard rumours regarding Lady Rutherford's only son from the servants below stairs. Still unmarried, it seemed he never visited his mother, preferring to stay in London to participate in the many entertainments offered for young eligible gentlemen. She certainly hoped he would not show his face at Rutherford Court during her incumbency, for she was certain to give him a severe tongue-lashing. It did not matter who he was, he should make time to see his only living parent who loved him dearly. Although she did not complain, Grace knew his mother missed him.

Sighing, Grace turned her attention to the chambers given to her on arrival. How very different to what she had become accustomed to. Although, the colours were practically the same as what she had at the cottage, that is where the similarity ended. Decorated with furniture of the latest Chippendale designs, a large, ornate bed made of mahogany with violet draperies hanging from the canopy above sat in the middle in between two matching mullioned windows. A large clothes press from the same designer sat along the far wall. On the opposite wall sat a marble-mantled fireplace that now had a fire dancing merrily in the hearth, warming the room against the chill that had gathered overnight.

Grace did not want to become too accustomed to such luxury; she would not be here for long after all. As she did not know how long the marchioness would be in need of her. Even though she had not been in residence long, she began to love it here, along with the marchioness who treated her like the daughter she never had.

"Artemis, come on, breakfast time," she called to her faithful pet.

To Lady Rutherford's credit, she did not turn her nose up at the sight of Grace's unusual companion. Instead, she greeted the dog warmly, bestowing fond pats on top of Artemis's smooth head. For that, her ladyship had made a friend for life. Unlike the squire, Artemis would have gladly ripped the seat out of his breeches if given the chance. She certainly did not like that man. Fortunately, Grace did not see him again before she left and for that, she would be eternally grateful. Although, she knew she would see him again. It was only a matter of time.

With Artemis following close behind, Grace made her way down the ornate mahogany staircase toward the breakfast room. With sadness, she looked down at the simple dusky pink muslin gown she wore, too simple in her opinion for the opulence that surrounded her. However, it would have to do; she could get more when she could afford it. Even though Lady Rutherford had offered to buy her some new clothes, Grace refused. Just receiving the chance to live in such splendour was enough, not to mention the chaise by the window in her room to allow her to look out over the grounds. Such inspiration for her writing she saw everywhere she looked, which Lady Rutherford kindly granted time off for her to do.