Chapter One

Dedicated to MysticFate

Emily Abbington felt a calmness wash over her as she took in the view from the window of the cafe

Emily Abbington felt a calmness wash over her as she took in the view from the window of the cafe. Her eyes saw a bright blue ocean in the distance as she stared out the window of the cafe and she viewed a white, sandy beach where a few people were enjoying themselves, reading a magazine or swimming in the water. For the first time in years, it seemed like the world was smiling at her. Time had changed and the past was behind her. These three days far away from home were hers and she didn't have to worry anymore. Here, no one knew who she was and it was liberating to not be aware of every step she took nor having to think about what consequences her actions would have. The last three years, that was all she had been doing.

She tried not to think too much about the past. The memory of what she'd been through frightened her just as much now as it had in the moment. She thought she'd be free when she finally came back home, but even then she hadn't been. She was being told what to do by her parents constantly while all she wanted was a break. There was just one thing she wished for after the shocking events that had piled up without giving her time to breathe, and that was being in the comfort of her own bed, safe.

She didn't want to do a press conference or give a public statement and talk about everything that happened, partly because she was tired and partly because she didn't have the answers herself. She couldn't just get over it and live the life her parents wanted her to have like Jason King could. He was the example of a perfect son, wanting to please his parents with everything he did. He'd offered to do the press conference she'd refused to do and he was also willing to take over the family company in the near future, unlike her.

She was nothing like him. He was everything her parents wished for and everything she could never be.

But now wasn't the time to think about that. She was free, finally. The moment she'd stepped off the plane and was welcomed by a cool Miami breeze, she felt free. Here in Miami, there were no parents, no paparazzi, no press conferences or statements she had to put out. This was where she could be her true self, even if it was just for one more day. This was the real Emily.

A waiter walked up to her table. "I'm sorry it took so long," he said, smiling apologetically. The nameplate on his uniform told her his name was River. "There were some complications." He put down her order on the wooden surface of the table. It was orange juice and came in a plastic cup. Emily chuckled when she envisioned the reaction of her parents if they would see her drinking out of a cup made of material so cheap.

"That's okay." She smiled softly. "I have time." She was willing to wait for hours. Every minute spent here, she wasn't in San Francisco. She wasn't exactly thrilled that she had to leave tomorrow morning already.

The waiter looked relieved upon hearing her answer. His dark brown eyes were glistening a little as his mouth curled up into a smile. "The key lime pie is coming right up," he said, "thank you for your patience." Then he left.