Chapter Twelve

He'd never deemed it possible

He'd never deemed it possible. Actually, he still didn't think it was possible. His eyes must be deceiving him.

When he had been preparing himself this morning to go to work—he'd got a job as a waiter with a catering company—this was the last thing he'd expected. In reality, he hadn't thought much about working at all; he had had different things on his mind, and how to carry glasses from a bar to a table on a tray wasn't a thing he worried about.

He'd been approached by a talent scout two weeks ago when he was playing basketball with his friends on a summer evening, and it was this small moment that had made his whole life turn upside down. The offer that was given to him could change everything for the better, but meant he could lose everything too, saying goodbye to the life he knew and the people close to him.

To understand, it's important to know River had to work for his opportunities all his life. Things had never been handed to him. Going from job to job and having difficulty keeping one for a month, he always had to prove himself.

But then came Jeremy Wellinger, who had said, "I'm going to change your life." And he had; he'd handed him the best chance he could've ever imagined getting in the shape of a phone number on a business card.

River had never dared to dream about a future in professional basketball. There were so many great players out there that had the time to pursue their dreams and although he had an optimistic nature, he wanted to be realistic in his expectations. He'd always thought other were much better than he, and unlike them he didn't have the time or patience to perfect his skill.

Life was funny like that, surprising him in places he least expected it.

But he had a choice to make now. Jeremy Wellinger's business card was burning in his pocket and River was much too aware of the small object. Calling the number would mean traveling the world to play basketball games, but leaving Talia behind. Jeremy had already warned him that, when he accepted his offer, he'd not see his home as often. River had interpreted that as not at all—or at least something close to never.

But it was his dream, or at least, the thing he'd been dreaming about the past two weeks. Basketball as his full-time job—who wouldn't want that? He loved the sport and couldn't imagine it being less than amazing as a job.

Then, this morning came. Because he hadn't accepted Wellinger's offer yet and hadn't had the time to cancel this job, he showed up this morning at a castle-like building where a wedding was to be held, as was expected of him as a waiter of the catering company.

And it was in that moment that something unexpected happened.

He walked into the building—through the back entrance, which was meant for the staff—and listened to the instructions in the kitchen given by a superior, talking about the schedule for that day and what was supposed to happen when, pressing on the tight schedule they had. River dozed off halfway through, but knew his colleague Barry was paying attention and wouldn't mind repeating it back to him.