Chapter Twenty-two

"River," Emily whispered

"River," Emily whispered. She turned her head around the corner and tried to be invisible to the other guests as she asked for his attention. She succeeded; the guests only had eyes for each other as they were chatting on end about the events unfolding before them, having trouble believing this was real and not a soap.

"Emily?" River whispered back.

She was really here. He'd been waiting for too long after she and Jason had walked out the room with their parents and not knowing what was going on had been nerve-wracking. His hands were shaking and he tapped nervously on the floor with his foot. She was here now—what did that mean?

He got up from his seat and walked towards her, leaving the crowd behind in the ballroom. They didn't want to be disturbed. "What happened?" he asked. It was the only question on his mind.

The smile on her face was invincible. "I, I don't know," she said, but she was laughing. "I have no idea."

"And Jason, he..." River couldn't comprehend what the British guy had just done for them—he'd given up on a girl he was about to marry, and gave an opportunity to a guy he hardly knew.

She nodded. "I have no idea," she repeated. "I guess... I changed his mind."

Hearing that, he smiled too. She'd changed his mind. Which meant the wedding was off.

He was speechless. "I..."

She chuckled. Her eyes glimmered again and she seemed relieved. "You don't need permission anymore to hug, you know."

He hadn't known what to do before then, too happy about all that was happening, but this invitation brought back the energy to his muscles and he hugged her. This time, there was no awkwardness or sadness when they held each other in their arms. With their arms enclosing their bodies came a sense of relief and happiness, hope for the future—a future that didn't seem as scary anymore now.

They'd been given a second chance. They'd ruined it in February by saying goodbye too soon and not staying in contact, but this time they wouldn't screw up. It was a silent agreement between them as they realized how lucky they were, so close to each other again.

Her hair was tickling his face and her head was on his shoulder. It seemed to be his imagination, but it wasn't—it was real.

"I can't believe this," she said, her voice muffled by the fabric of his shirt.

"Me neither."

And he didn't let go just yet.

*

While they were sitting outside, the sun warmer and shining brighter than before, Emily was the first one who broke the silence. "What now?"

He had his arm around her shoulder. "What do you mean?"

She kept staring in the distance. "Exactly how I'm saying it," she said. "What should we do now?"

He pursed his lips. What should they do now? The wedding was over, that much they knew, but their future was still unsure.

He answered honestly. "I don't know."

"But I'll leave soon," she said.

"Don't remind me," he whispered into her ear, giving her small kisses with a smile across his lips and an overwhelming feeling of happiness coming over him. This moment seemed perfect; it was the first time saying goodbye wasn't close and would tear them apart for life. It was just him and her now, so naturally he didn't yet want to think about the reality that she'd soon have to go.

"River..." She distanced herself from him and tilted her head to the side, telling him to stop making excuses.

"Emily..." he mocked.

She laughed. "I'm being serious!"

"It doesn't look like it," he said.

"Well, I am," she said again. "What will we do when I'm in San Francisco and you're here?"

He closed his eyes for a second and then turned to her, letting his arm fall off her shoulders. "I don't know."

"Aren't you afraid?" she asked. "Of the future and what will happen to us?"

He didn't have a doubt in his voice when he said, "No." Saying this, he looked deep into her dark brown eyes to let her know this was nothing but the truth.

"Why not?"

"Because I have you," he said, pinching her in the arm, "and no matter what happens, I have already won."

She sighed, but she had a content smile on her face. "Love you too," she said. "And we'll work this out." She gave him a small kiss on his cheek.

It seemed impossible for him to stop smiling. He'd never felt this much happiness in one moment. "We will," he said.

So they sat again in silence, enjoying every second they had together and knowing that this time, it wouldn't be their last.

* * *

... and that's the end of the story.

* squeals excitedly *

Who else can't believe this?

I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I did writing it! And FYI, there will be two more updates after this with exciting news, so don't say goodbye to me yet... There's more awaiting us!

And thank you so much for reading this :) I can't put into words how thankful I really am for having such supporting readers, but you're the best.