Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

a good deal in love

Vincent ran around a lot that week, passing out fliers for a party that was supposed to be under a hundred people.

That first day, I snagged one off the top of his pile, teasing, “Why are we not texting these? Don’t you care about trees?”

“I do,” he said, “but this is more colorful. More fitting for a princess. Besides, Sofia is texting.”

I stared down at the quarter-sheet-sized pink paper, which was just Vincent’s handwriting photocopied. “Hey, this is next door to me. Brendan’s house.”

“Yeah.” Vincent shrugged. “He said he wanted to throw you a party, but I offered first. Said it was the least he could do. And it saves me from cleaning up, so…anyway. Gotta plan. I’ll see you later.” He ducked his head down, smacked a kiss on my cheek, then flashed that damn dimple. I couldn’t help but smile.

“It is gonna be chill, right?”

“Absolutely. You’re the birthday girl. You asked for chill, and chill is what you’ll get.”

I made my way to the cafeteria, where I’d promised Julia I’d have lunch with her.

She sat bent over her Algebra textbook, and looked at me with forlorn eyes. “Will you help me here?”

“Yeah, but isn’t that due next period? Why didn’t you have it done last night?” I tried to keep the scolding out of my voice, but it was a pet peeve of mine when kids stressed over their homework the period before.

She sighed, and put her head down on her arms right there at the table. “I would normally ask Brendan to help me, but he’s been spending all his time with Sofia. In his room.”

My eyes practically bugged out of my head, and I had to swallow hard to get more words out. “Studying what?”

“Math, they say. But they’re mostly quiet. And you know what’s going on when two people are mostly quiet.”

I stared at her. “They’re in there making out?”

Julia looked at me. “Please. Do you think I care enough about Brendan to snoop on him while he’s in his room with a gorgeous girl ‘studying’?”

“No. But maybe you care enough about me?” I tried to sound like I was teasing but really the panic was rising in my voice at a crazy rate.

“Hey, what are you so upset about? It’s not like you like him or anything.”

It’s not like I was ballsy enough to show or tell anyone I liked him, no.

“I mean, you have Vincent fawning all over you.” Julia practically sighed as she said his name. “Why are you worrying about what my stupid geeky brother is doing with his new bitchy girlfriend?”

The use of the word “girlfriend” made my stomach do flips, and I felt my face getting hot. “You think she’s a bitch?” I tried to tone down the glee I knew was in my tone.

Julia snorted. “I know she’s a bitch. How else did she manage to climb the social ladder at Mansfield Prep faster than an acrobat on crack?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Money?”

Julia stared at me. “Seriously? You think just because a kid’s rich she’s the queen of Mansfield Prep? Then check out Henry Green. Tons of cash and still gets stuffed in his locker like twice a week. No, there’s something else. She knows how to talk to people, how to make them feel good. Or something. Doesn’t change the fact that I’m hoping she’ll get me invited to all the best parties. It’s my turn to have hot guys fawning over me,” she pouted.

I leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. “Thanks, honey.” For the next few minutes, I guided her through the problems giving her so much trouble.

As I stood up to leave, she let her mouth drop open in mock shock. “What, you’re not going to grill me about my classes and how hard I’m studying?”

I laughed. “You’re a big girl. You can take care of yourself.” When she still looked shocked, I laughed again. “Next time, I promise. Tomorrow.”

Julia smiled knowingly. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say you were mega distracted by that guy.”

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. She’d never refer to Brendan as “that guy.”

“Hello. Vincent? Seriously. Since when have you been such a space cadet? He must be really taking over your brain.”

I forced a laugh. I think I sounded like a barking seal. “Yeah. Must be. I’ll see you later Jul, okay?”