Chapter 22

Disclaimer: The following chapter is the non-edited draft of what was written during NaNoWriMo 2018. My apologies in advance for plot holes and other inconsistencies.

~~~

Lincoln and Marie were taking a stroll through the camp when Gibson pulled up in a cloud of dust and jumped out.

"We've got a problem. Come on, hop in."

"Why, what's wrong? Is it this Potter guy?"

Gibson nodded and opened the rear door of the truck. "Yep. He knows you're here."

"Does that matter?" Lincoln said as he climbed in and scooted over to the far side of the cab.

Gibson climbed back into the passenger seat after closing the door behind Marie. "It does. We just found you and we have no formal connections with him and his thugs. Somehow, he found out that you're here."

"But so what?" Lincoln said as the truck jerked forward and picked up speed.

Gibson turned and stared at Lincoln for a few seconds. "They want us to turn you over to them."

Lincoln's eyes opened wide and he exchanged a quick look with Marie.

"They want what?"

"They want you, Lincoln."

Lincoln leaned back in his seat and looked out the window and sat in silence for a few minutes as his eyes wandered over the tents that passed them by.

"What could they possibly want with us?" he said.

"That, my friend, I'm not sure of. Often, Potter sees something new and he sees an opportunity. Half the time, I'm not even sure he himself knows what he actually wants to do with what he finds. He just wants it because he can."

"A power trip?" Marie said and shook her head, disgusted.

"Like I said, I can't be sure," Gibson said. "I have until dusk to turn you over."

Lincoln snapped his head towards Gibson. "Today?"

Gibson nodded, a frown on his face. "Yep. Obviously, I have no intention on doing so but agreeing to his terms at least buys us a few hours to figure something out."

"Tell me, what happens if you don't do what he asked?"

"He'll make our lives miserable, in one way or another. He'll harass us as a group in whatever way he can or, if he's really feeling obnoxious, he'll drive right at us, guns blazing."

"Guns?" Marie said and sat straight up, eyes wide. "They'll actually try to kill you."

"Yes," Gibson said, "But it's not something they haven't tried to do before. We've had plenty of run-ins with them in the past. It's not like this one would be any different."

"We can't let them do that," Marie continued. "I am not putting your lives at risk because of us. Right, Lincoln?" she said and turned the Lincoln.

"I agree, Gibson, we can't let that happen. I'm not sure how things were between you and Potter before we arrived but they can't be allowed to be come a threat to you just because we showed up, uninvited."

The truck pulled up in front of Gibson's tent. They all exited the truck and Gibson led them back inside to the living room area, where they sat down in silence, all of them deep in thought. It wasn't until Miriam brought in afternoon tea that Gibson spoke up.

"Listen, it's not that complicated. We'll just get you out of here before dusk. When Potter comes looking, you'll be long gone. The tricky part will be doing this on the sly, since I'm pretty sure there's a spy in our camp."