Behind Closed Doors

Although we have no obligation

To stay alive

On broken backs we beg for mercy

We will survive

Break all, I wont be left here

Behind closed doors

Rise Against - Behind Closed Doors (The Sufferer and The Witness)

"OK, who gave you this number?" Simon snapped, as he picked up his phone and Jace asked him if he wanted to go out for drinks.

"Is that important?" Jace asked. "What do you say, Lewis? You know I'm just going to bug you until you agree."

"Fine." Simon growled. "Where are you? I'm leaving Maia's place. I'll pick you up."

He must be crazy. What was he doing?

He was still questioning his sanity when he picked up Jace at the loft. He didn't go up because he wasn't ready to see the looks on Magnus and Alec's faces.

"So where are we going?" Simon asked. He cursed silently when Jace's scent filled his car. Pull yourself together. He scolded himself. This was Jace, the enemy.

He was older now. Jace couldn't get to him anymore...

"Simon?" Jace was shaking him. He fought the urge to shrug the hand on his arm away. "What?"

"You are growling." Jace said, he was smiling, the little shit. "Are you OK?"

"No." Simon snapped. "Let's get this over with..."

At the bar, Jace was still in a good mood. "So are you going to keep scowling at me? I'm trying here."

"Trying at what exactly?" Simon smiled at a group of girls who were giggling and pointing at him. It was funny when people recognized him in public. At least, he wasn't at the point where he had to go around with bodyguards and hide from the locals.

"I meant it." Jace was saying. "I miss you. I miss my friend. It's fine if you don't want me back, but we can be friends, can't we?"

"Whoa, whoa..." Simon held up his hand. "Want you back? What? Are you serious?"

Jace's expression was a cross between 'are you kidding' and 'yeah, so what'.

"I don't believe this." Simon shook his head. "You want me to take you back? Why?"

"What do you mean, 'why'?" Jace asked. "Is anything wrong with that?"

"Yes. A lot." Simon said. "I don't wanna. I got over you and I'm not going to..."

It wasn't as if he got over him, but he wasn't going to tell Jace that.

"Look, we were friends once." Jace said. His tone was odd. "We can be that again."

"Uh, excuse me?" a small voice said at Simon's side. He looked up and saw one of the girls at the far end of the bar. "I, uh, was wondering if I could get a picture? My friends didn't think you would, but I said I'd come and try. So here I am. Could I please get a picture with you?"

Simon grinned. "Of course." He could feel Jace's eyes on him as he obliged her. Then he told her to get her friends over.

By the time he was done, he had gotten two phone numbers and lipstick stains on his cheek.

"How does it feel?" Jace asked him as he cleaned his cheek.

"Are you sure you won't get jealous?" Simon asked.