15. Coffee and Muffins

"But things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do,
And I would gladly hit the road get up and go if I knew;
That someday it would lead me back to you,
That someday it would lead me back to you."

◘ ◘ ◘

"Lex!" I heard my name being called, snapping me out of my daydream-state. I was still worrying over the my financial issues, though the delivery service was quite a success.

"Oh...yes?" I replied automatically, looking around in confusion.

"Were you even listening?" Jake asked, frowning slightly. Immediately, I felt guilty. I hardly hung out with Jake anymore, because he said he was always busy with schoolwork and I was always busy with deliveries. I bit my lip guiltily.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I asked softly.

"I just asked if you're free this Saturday," Jake muttered, sighing in annoyance. I didn't understand why he was acting this way, he had become very easily-annoyed and easily-angered, a complete 360 from his cheery, happy-go-lucky persona when we first met. I blamed it on the stress of school.

"Yeah, I am," I answered, pursing my lips.

Jake sighed irritably, and I felt my heart sink.

"Meet me at The Bean at noon. Don't be late," he said, before abruptly standing up and walking away. I sighed sadly and fiddled my fingers. If I had to guess when he was in such a bad mood, it's probably because of last night.

Jake came over to my dorm last night to watch a movie, but we both ended up in a heated...ah, make-out session. But when Jake reached to take my shirt off, I immediately stopped him. I wasn't ready for that, I wanted it to be more special. He, of course, got angry.

"What's wrong?" Jake asked, although it didn't sound like he was concerned. He frowned a little and ran his hand through his hair which was sticking up randomly, a mess from me running my fingers through it again and again.

"Nothing, it's just...I'm not ready for that," I explained nervously.

"We've been dating for almost two months, Lexi!"

"I know! Just...give me some time, okay?" I said softly, trying to calm him down. Instead, his nostrils flared up in anger and his frown turned into a scowl.

"When the hell does that time come? God, Lexi. You're such a prude!" Jake yelled. I flinched involuntarily at his harsh words, and I felt my throat close up uncomfortably.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, staring at my lap. Jake rolled his eyes.

"Whatever. I'm going back. Goodnight," Jake said, shaking his head and getting up from the couch. He threw on his jacket and left, slamming the door on the way out.

As hurt as I was, I couldn't bring myself to want to sleep with him. I liked him, of course. Maybe I even loved him, but I felt like it was too fast for that. I wanted it to be special, not just some wham-bam-thank-you-man kind of thing.

I went to sleep that night wondering why I couldn't do it like the other girls in school. It was no secret that most girls in this school do it, and regularly too. I blushed as I thought about it before groaning. Was I really a prude? I hoped not. It wasn't as if I never had sex before, but with Jake...it didn't seem like it was the right time.

"Hey, sunshine. Why the long face?" a voice said, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Huh? Oh! Hey Logan, I didn't see you there," I said, sitting up straighter and giving him a small smile. It was no secret that Logan was easily my favourite out of the four boys, mainly because he was the only one that was nice. Robin and Asher were downright assholes and Yuko just never spoke.