0

The crowd was cheering while watching a boy and a girl performing a tap duet on Ray Charles' "Hallelujah I Just Love Her So", despite the fact that they had slight timing issues. The crowd was entertained. That was what mattered. That was what people wished dance competitions were more like, instead of silly little dramas.

In the wings, another dancer was practising her tap routine. Sadly, she was going to be performing all by herself. No one in her dance group was advanced enough in tap to be in a duet with her.

The dancer didn't dare to look up and watch the other performances. She had been taught that it was demotivating to do so. She could get psyched out.

The best thing was that none of her rivals seemed to be competing today. They probably had acting or modelling gigs, maybe both. The girl wondered.

The microphone boomed, announcing the next contestant. It was the dancer - Kristen Stewart - with her tap solo to Ed Sheeran's "Shape Of You". The whole auditorium cheered loudly. They knew who Kristen Stewart was. They had seen her in movies, her photos were in clothing campaigns. Kristen was famous, no matter how much she didn't want to admit it. She was so down to earth, it was unbelievable that she had grown up in a family, involved in the industry. That had given her a leg up and she felt like the luckiest sixteen-year-old in the whole universe.

Growing up, Kristen had learned so much about making movies that she wanted to do the same when she grew up. When she didn't have gigs and professional jobs, she was either playing instruments, like a good daughter, or she was learning passionately about the art of making movies. She could become a director someday. Or she could write scripts like her mother. Perhaps she could follow in her father's footsteps and become a producer? She hadn't decided yet.

Kristen was like a machine. The minute the song started, so did her body. Her muscle memory was so strong, she was dancing not only from the heart. She was performing like she was on Broadway and it was her last hours before she died. That was how she had been taught, having learned from the best teachers in Los Angeles. Her studio, Arthur Murray Dance School, was one of the best in the whole city. Kristen was a part of the competition team and would always bring victories. The previous year, she had won a crown and a national title, making herself and her family proud.

The audience was even more entertained than the Ray Charles duet. The younger, who knew the song, were singing along and clapping in its rhythm, motivating Kristen to dance like she had never danced before. At the end of her routine, she got a standing ovation from the children. That had never happened to her! In the wings, all she could think of was her performance. Sadly, everyone was only as good as their last performance. So she had to keep challenging herself, to keep motivating herself and to never stop improving what could always be better.

In the green room, where the other soloists were getting ready, her teammates and her teacher congratulated her:

"Great job, Kristen!"

"You were amazing!"

Kristen, like a real sportsman, gave everyone hugs and thanked them, like she had been taught to. She didn't think she had performed as brilliantly as people would always tell her. She was trying to keep herself grounded. At the end of the day, she was simply a young girl with a dream. Nothing too spectacular. There were so many others like her out there. With what was she more different than her peers? With the fact that she was an actress? That she danced? Many people acted and danced as well.

Kristen took a seat at one of the vanity tables and began to remove her makeup. That was her least favourite part - becoming herself again. As much as she preached that one had to be themselves, she loved performing exactly because of the fact that she could become anyone she wanted to.

At the end of the competition day, when the awards were being announced, Kristen won first place for her solo. She had made it! Another victory! Lately, she had been winning everything - from acting gigs to modelling jobs.

That had been one of her last good days. Soon, everything would change. Of course, she didn't know that. She didn't suspect that. She was on a winning streak and wanted to keep it that way.