2

Even the most successful people sometimes needed a break to start with an even bigger push, with even more motivation than ever. And at the moment, Kristen needed one.

After school, Kristen had to go to the dance studio for her practice. That day, in particular, she wasn't too pumped to go to class. She preferred to go back home, take a hot bath and work on her homework assignments. The next couple of days were going to be busy. She had auditions and singing classes. Plus, she had to find time to practice playing instruments. She could see her father's disappointment whenever he didn't see her playing the violin.

John Stewart had a secret dream - for his daughter to become a musician. Ever since she was a little girl, Kristen would sing to the radio all the time. And soon, she became interested in playing instruments. Like every other little girl, Kristen was signed up for piano lessons. John insisted on violin lessons, claiming it would be beneficial for her. Truth to be told, Kristen preferred playing the guitar and the piano, alas she never told her father. She loved him and respected him too much to hurt him. She knew how much music meant to him.

Jules Stewart believed Kristen should focus on dancing. She thought it would help her daughter to be more graceful and more feminine. It seemed to have done its job. In the past, Kristen had been completely unable to stand things most girls her age adored. Now, she knew how to style her hair and apply her makeup. Jules had never been able to do that when she had been her daughter's age.

At the dance studio, the team was stretching, when the teacher entered and announced that they were going to be competing again soon.

"You all will learn new routines for this competition."

Kristen wanted to sink in the ground. She could feel her heart beating faster. How were they going to do that? All the other studios were going to go out there and perform fabulous routines that they had been learning for the past year and yet, this competition team had to learn a new dance from scratch. That was too much pressure.

Throughout the whole rehearsal, Kristen couldn't stop worrying. On top of that, she was asked to stay overtime to start learning a new solo. Her teacher had decided on a lyrical routine. Couldn't she simply perform the one she had won first place with recently? Her teacher reminded that she would be able to pick up new things more easily if she learned more. Kristen couldn't argue, because she knew it was the truth. But training could be tiring. Her feet were practically bleeding. She needed to work on them. She found her relevé to be too low. She also thought her arms were horrendous, like noodles.

"Kristen, you have to do your best! A little birdie told me Mackenzie will be competing directly against you for that title," her teacher explained.

Kristen's heart sank. She knew exactly who Mackenzie was. It was Mackenzie Foy - her biggest rival in almost everything. Kristen hadn't heard much of her through these past weeks, so naturally, she assumed she was busy. Mackenzie was probably learning a perfect routine to beat her.

And now that she knew that her biggest rival was going to be competing against her, Kristen had to work her hardest to make sure to prove to everyone that her crown and her national title were well deservedly won.

After dance class, when Kristen came back home, she ran to her bed and buried her face into her pillow, earning a scolding from her mother:

"Wash up first! Who knows what dirty stuff you've touched! There are illnesses out there!"

The teenager grumbled. She was exhausted, practically slurring her words. All she wanted was more time. But in two weeks was the competition and all her rivals were going to be there. And she had so much work to finish up for school. She wished summer was already there. But the thoughts of the movie she was going to be filming then were preventing her from calming herself down. That was a price she had to pay to do what she loved doing.

That night, before bed, when she was saying her prayers, Kristen asked God to help her stay strong, safe and sound. Without health, nothing could be achieved, so she believed.