Chapter 27:Baby,Baby, Baby Oh

"What is going on with my babies?" Cassie gripped the nurse's arm so strong that the young girl howled in pain. She felt the pain in her stomach again and cursed a stream of words that made Evan gasp.

"Isn't there something you could do for the pain. It's been almost three hours," Evan smoothed the hair back from her damp forehead. The nurse shrugged and left the room. When the pain had hit, Cassie had ordered him to drive her to the nearest hospital but he was regretting that decision. The small hospital was not equipped for this complicated pregnancy and as the time wore on, Cassie was getting more and more frustrated.

 "Don't you worry love. I'm going to take care of everything," He flipped out his cell and made some calls. The first one was to Cassie's doctor, then to another hospital which he donated to generously annually. 

"Evan, what's the matter son? You sound stressed," The older man who had taken over from his parents after their premature death greeted him with the same familiar voice he was used to.

"Cassie might be in labor. I need a transfer but everywhere is full. Can you take her?" He pleaded as Cassie threatened to break every bone in his hand. To make matters worse, she was flushed and was running a fever.

"Of course. I'll send Ray over. Which hospital is she at?" Evan frantically named the hospital before Cassie attempted to break his hand again.

There was nothing but silence for a few minutes and he used that time to call her parents. Her father answered on the second ring, predicting his call. He had called them earlier to let them know he was taking Cassie to the hospital and that he'd call as soon as he could. He needed backup... Cassie had her girls and he needed his brother.

"Mr Payne, Cassie seems to be doing okay now but I'm getting her transferred to another hospital just in case," The older man coughed nervously in the background and he wondered what was the matter.

"Son, its about time you start calling me something than Mr Payne,"

Evan smiled so hard that his teeth hurt.

"Pop or dad or anything remotely along those lines is perfectly fine,"

"Thanks. I needed you for something else too," He looked back at the woman now asleep on the bed, lowering his voice and leaving the room. He tried not to let anyone hear him at all but the man on the phone who promised he would keep his secret.

Oh and what a secret it was...

"Mom, I'm fine really," She sighed as her mother ordered everyone responsible for taking care of her around. Evan's idea of taking care of her now, was to make sure she was in a private room at one of the best hospitals in the city, hooked up to every machine known to man. "Its just the machines making me look worse than I am," She found herself encased by hugs from her mother, then squeezed almost to death by her siblings.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your family moment but someone called a doctor. I apologize for being her late but one of my little ones was running a fever. I left daddy the business man to take over," Dr Wu apologized dismissing the doctor who was taking over for her.

It was beginning to get crowded in the small room and the medication the nurse administered into the drip to induce labor was working.  What felt like pain before had increased to steady contractions, a few minutes apart to give her enough time to get over the previous one.

"Trust any kids that these two make to come before the due date," Damon joked before  Leti smacked him for being inconsiderate.

"GET OUT!" Dr Wu ushered everybody out of the room before another contraction hit. This one was worse, threatening to rip her to shreds. Evan sat behind her on the bed, being the helpless man that he was.