[six]

Khalid did not seem sad at all when I told him I would be riding with the great leader

Khalid did not seem sad at all when I told him I would be riding with the great leader. If anything he seemed actually pleased.

"When you fell asleep...

"Yes?"

"He wanted you to ride with him."

I felt my teeth grind together at his words.

"Soleia convinced him otherwise, but when it came time to rest, there was no stopping him from carrying you."

"I see."

Khalid pauses, staring at me before shaking his head, "any female would be honored to have such attention given to them by the Chief."

"I am not any female."

Khalid immediately bows, "forgive my words Mikabellum."

I sigh, unable to say anything else as Roark rides up.

He does not say anything. No words apparently are needed for him. His eyes only glare into Khalid, who remains bowed, head down now for the Chief.

I bend to pat his covered cheek quickly, trying to shake the feeling of unease that came to me at having to leave him.

Khalid stiffens but does not move.

Roark dismounts to help me. I chew upon the inside of my cheek, letting the pain settle me as he sits behind me.

"You touched him."

I shrink away from his chest, the tone of his voice scaring me.

"I comforted him."

Roark scoffs behind me, "does the male need constant comfort from you?"

"No. I just choose to give it to him."

My words are enough to silence him as he harshly pushes his horse forward towards the front of the hoard.

I recognize the eyes of the riders that surround him, feeling a smile grace my face, "Hello Nash."

"Mikabellum," he bows his head, his formal greeting throwing me off slightly before I see a small wink slip by him to me.

"And where are Jesper and Hirog?"

"Jesper leads the body, while Hirog is in charge of the Heart."

I don't question the names he springs up on me.

Instead, Nash's eyes widen as he glances past me. No doubt taking in Roark and whatever expression he was wearing.

"I need to check on something..." Nash never finishes his sentence as he urges his horse around.

I don't dare turn back to look at what expression the great leader is holding.

His words soon confirm my thoughts though.