[nine]

"Stay close to me

"Stay close to me."

Close?

There was nowhere I could go. I was astride with him on his horse. Where would I go?

"Take this off."

It's the first time I have spoken since our time in the tent.

He laughs at my request.

"Not yet my lioness. We do not want to show your beauty to the others."

I feel like screaming at the helpless feeling that is rising in me.

That was the reason for his veil? The was the reason for why he cut off my sight?

He makes no promises of keeping me safe. Nothing of reassurance to let me feel at ease. He was not that kind of man to fill such empty words.

I feel the tension rise.

"What happened to the plan of taking them by surprise?"

"But why?" He sounds amused again as he laughs, "Why would we need to take them by surprise. We have you Mikabellum."

So of course, he is whispering to me, so of course, we will win.

"You have your knife."

Yes. I at least had that.

Unfortunately, the knife was buried under layers of ceremonial clothing, impossible for me to reach.

I can almost feel him waiting for me to bite against his words. But I hold my tongue. Now was not the time to show my true colors and cast away the title of deity.

I knew sooner or later, the day of my death would come.

At least I will look beautiful in my death, I thought, glancing down to take in the robes that adorned me.

The suddenness of the tension leaving me, grabs his attention.

"Are you scared Mikabellum?"

His words are pressed against the veil, my own clothing obscuring and meeting his covered lips.

"Let's go."

It's not what he wanted to hear.

Maybe he did want to hear my fear.

But if he did, I wouldn't give him such satisfaction.

I feel the movement of the horse, the strides growing rougher and rougher as the beast moves its pace into a fast motion that sets us closer to our destination.

Closer to destruction.

Roark yells to those behind him.

What was that mass ahead?

Was that the other tribe?

Is this how battles are fought?

Like the suddenness of lightning? No waiting, no thought.