[ten]

I hear whispers in the darkness

Soft voices that come slowly into my mind as I keep my eyes shut - my breathing even.

The warmth of the blanket and the bulk of it hide me from sight, but the heat that is trapped inside the cloth is stifling. I want it off. I want to open my eyes.

But the voices stop me.

"News is traveling fast of what happened."

"Good," Roarks' whisper reaches me as I keep still.

"No action has been done?"

"He is mad...that much is true..."

I hear laughter from the Great Leader at Tuva's words.

The soft sounds of rain are making it harder for my ears to catch their words. The reason for why I am wrapped in so many blankets, cocooned against their whispers. For why I had been forced to be trapped in the Great Leader's tent this night, seeking shelter from the crying sky.

I thought it ironic that the week after our slaughter, the heavens of the desert had opened up to unleash its sorrow.

No one else of the Onism tribe saw such a thing.

Only the blessing of rain in the dryness.

A sign that the red they had spilled should be rightfully met in gratitude from the sky.

Not that the world itself would be washing away their sins, pushing aside their deaths, and letting the dirt be cleaned, from the stains it had received.

Lightning clashes in the distant, the thunder of its noise causing a boldness to arise in Tuva and Roarks' words as the volume of their voices rose to be heard over nature.

"The Elephant King won't take action until it's necessary."

"I know."

I can almost sense the tension of Tuva's next words as he speaks, "Great Leader, what...is...what will..."

"I know what needs to be done."

There is silence.

I am straining my ears. So much so that I am able to hear the noise of approaching footsteps.

It is just in time that I do so.

His hand reaches for me. Softley. Lightly.

I do not move as his fingers trace my face for his eyes.

"Oh, my lioness..."

I try to ease the tension from my shoulders as I feel his arms reach for me and wrap around my frame. As a cage of steel locks me in tighter.

I gasp, knowing I cannot pretend to be asleep any longer with him so close. 

"Shhh Mikabellum...sleep."