SERIES ONE. CHPTR 2

TWO.
the walk home was fucking FREEZING. i ended up hailing a cab - though the driver was sleazy and had the windows down anyway.

The 10 minute drive couldn't go quick enough and I felt my body instantly heat up the moment I stepped inside my small house. Well, my moms house. It was run down and needed a more than a little paint. But it was all we could afford. I'd spend my childhood moving around until she landed a job here. I'm just grateful that I was the only child, I knew how stressful it was for my mother.

I dragged my heavy feet up the stairs and to my room, switching off every light as I went. I really loved my usual saturday nights but I needed something more in my life. I found myself tired all the time.

I woke up, sometime during the night my thick blanket must have done a runner and fallen off the bed because I was fucking cold. Even 2 layers of flannel pyjamas didn't help in these cold months.

The light creeped through my rugged curtains. They had definitely seen better days. I decided to get up before leaving myself any more time to procrastinate. Today, although a Sunday, I had to find a job. And I knew there was a factory down town hiring. I didn't care if it was a 'mans' work. I needed to help my struggling mom.

I wasted no time throwing on some black tights and 2 layers of shirts as well as a thick snow jacket. I honestly hated this weather. I could never get comfortable. We could afford heating and it was too wet outside for a fire.

The stamping factory was probably a half hour walk from mine, usually I would chuck on my Walkman to help with the journey but I'd accidentally left it on a bus last month. By the time I realised the doors had shut and the driver was pulling away. I swear I'm so fucking stupid sometimes.

"Tiffany Holmes" I introduced myself to the woman at the front desk. She had dark eyes and the blankest expression. "I heard yous were looking for workers?"

The woman smirked, "you? Work here?" I nodded. "Girl" she looked back down, "you are the most fragile looking thing we've had walk in this week" I wasn't sure if she was playing or having a genuine dig at me.

"I understand it's demanding work, but I really need anything ya know" I smiled. Pushing the issue "please, I know for a fact a few guys got laid off. I need a job"

The woman raised her eyebrows and nodded towards the shed out back, "fine, go have a look around. Get back to me if you think you can handle it" I smiled and headed out that way.

The shed was HUGE. It was so loud, the machinery was large and intimidating but I wasn't going to show that I was completely and utterly confused.
Then I surely wouldn't get a job.

"Hey," I called to an older, darker man. He turned "yeah darl you lookin' for someone here?" He assumed.
I shook my head and moved closer to explain myself over the industrial noise surrounding us. He was a bit taken back. Sure, they had female workers. But it was true. I was tiny. At 5 foot I wasn't exactly skinny, I had a little bit of weight to me, but I certainly wasn't big. I like to think I had curves in the right places.

The man scanned the room, even on a Sunday there were quite a few people at work here. He pointed me over to a young male sporting a pair of ear muffs under a charcoal beanie. Oh,I get. Because he's white too.

I felt a little nervous walking over to the man, he had his back turned to me while standing on the near side of a huge pressing machine. The images of all possible injuries flashed through my mind causing me to shudder.