SERIES ONE. CHPTR 3

THREE.

I lightly tapped the guys shoulder. I didn't want to startle him but that was no use cause he jumped slightly anyway.
"Hey," I smiled apologetically. He greeted me with piercing blue eyes and a puzzled look so I continued - awkwardly. "Oh, I'm Tiff - that guy" I gestured behind me "he told me to come watch you for a bit. Im looking for a job here, ha"

He turned back around to shut off the machine. "I know who you are"

What? How did he know who I was?

He smiled, I must have been showing my confusion more than I though.
"Down at the shelter, not hard to miss you when there's only a couple white chicks" it clicked, I had seen him before! I heard all about the white boy who beat Papa Doc. I had been out of town for that week and of course it was the week shit went down.

"I guess that's true. I hadn't noticed to be honest" I tried to play it cool. Totally forgetting I was here for a job opportunity. "Anyway, I didn't catch your name" I smiled. "I'm Tiffany. You should totally put in a good word for me. Cause ya know, I need a job"

I watched him for a moment as he pulled up his heavy sleeves to remove the ear muffs that were now hanging from his neck. "I would" he shrugged "but my shift actually just ended so I guess you'll have to go ask someone else. Names Jimmy by the way. Or b rabbit. Depends who I am that day"

I was a bit taken back, not sure if he was joking or serious - considering he started walking away, leaving me there to comprehend what just happened.

Jimmy stopped probably 10 feet away and motioned his head to follow. I quickly did, watching the few stairs under my feet as I caught up. I followed him back to the main office where the woman I had spoken to was still sitting. She had an amused look when she peered up to find us. I smiled back, awkward. Because, well, I still wasn't sure what exactly was happening with this job.

"Yeah she did alright Roseanne" jimmy nodded on his way through. I stopped in front of the desk anticipating more but he just continued out the main door and onto the cold Detroit street.
That was it? What now?
"Well, I guess come back Tuesday and we will start you up. Bring some if and don't be late. I'll see what we can do. Tiffany was it?" I nodded sheepishly. The woman - Roseanne, returned it and went back to the magazine she was glancing down at.

I zipped my jacket up and pulled it up around my face, tightening it as much as possible. No matter how long I've been doing this whole freezing weather bullshit, I still never quite prepare myself for it. Stepping back out into the wet, harsh winter air I quickly closed my eyes for a second. So did I just get a job or what? And where the fuck did jimmy go. Was I seriously annoying him that much.

"Oi" I peered to my left, oh. "So you a working class woman?" jimmy joked, pulling himself off the wall, hands in pockets.
"What's that supposed to mean?" I raised a brow
"Oh you know." He smirked. He was now a foot or so away from me "girl like you. Working in a place like this. We'll see how long it lasts." He shrugged again. Looking around as if he was going to head off. I'd noticed a car load of black men had drove by slowly, twice since I exited the office.
"We'll see." I didn't exactly know what to say so we kinda stood there for a moment in an awkward, very cold silence. 
"Which way you going?" Jimmy asked, also watching the car as they came back around. "I'll walk you"