SERIES ONE. CHPTR 4

FOUR.

The next week was hectic. I started work at the stamping factory and my god was it tiring. The hours do the work itself were so odd. I found it so physically draining but I was thankful that Jimmy was also there for most of my shifts. He'd walked me home that first day and I found out he was only 2 blocks away, almost on the outskirts of town down 8 mile road.
He seemed a little embarrassed when he me that he didn't really live with his mum - but that he was just staying there until he made it in rap. I laughed, he was pretty good. I'd teased him a little but he took it lightly. We were both pretty poor and I reminded him that when he dropped me off last time we walked together.

Although, he wasn't on today.
"Yo. Steve?" I called out. Pulling off my thick gloves and hanging up the mask I'd been wearing, "you heard from Jimmy today?" I was genuinely concerned. Various times, that same car had been up and down along our journey to and from the factory over the past couple days. I almost felt uneasy walking on my own but of course I wasn't going to miss today just because he wasn't on the corner waiting. I needed the money.

"Nah. Haven't heard from him. As far as I know he hadn't planned the day off or called in sick" I nodded in response and grabbed my bag. Guess I'd trek it home. Atleast it was Friday, that's a bonus. I was a lucky one with the weekend off. Maybe they still pitied me because of my size and well..gender.

I'd learnt from Veronica that Jimmy had been seeing another girl on and off and I knew her. Let's not say her name because I couldn't stand the blond slut. She ran off to be a "model" but honestly I just thought it was more likely she ran off to New York to blow some rich married men or some shit. Let's just say, we didn't get along.

I walked towards home slower than usual, smiling to myself. He really was a nice guy. Maybe he'll be at the shelter tonight or tomorrow. There's usually little meet ups during the week but I never went. I didn't like to leave my mother at night. The wind was cold and there were the usual distant gunshots or sirens. You'd think that would be alarming. But for here, it was normal. Most of the time it was nothing, anyway.

I was almost to my block when I heard a familiar voice "hey" it was quiet. I looked up from the Icy footpath to meet eyes with Jimmy. Except. He had what appeared to be a black eye and an unnecessarily thick hoodie on. "What the fuck man" I said without thinking "what happened to you"
He shuffled on his feet. "Nothing bad aye. I just came over" he trailed off, rubbing the back of his neck, obviously avoiding my question "cause I knew you'd be walking this way and I felt like shit for not showing up today"

I turned my head to the side, "it's fine. I'm a big girl you know.," I moved forward, "looks like you had a reason to miss work"

I was hoping that would open him up a little more, I kind of thought maybe that car load had something to do with it. The way he'd watched them the first day and then pretended to not see them again each time after he caught me noticing. But it didn't. He just shrugged and put his hands back in his pockets.
"Nah just wanted to let you know I wasn't bailing on you. Don't want you to be the only white bitch at work"

Ignoring the fact he also just called himself a bitch, I laughed. "'Nah, man. It's all good"

We stood on the corner for a moment. The past couple days hadn't been quite as cold, I didn't feel the need to cover my face today. Maybe I'd just adjusted, finally.

"So you going down tonight?" jimmy asked, breaking the short silence. "Nah" I smirked. "You might try to talk to me outside work and who wants that" he frowned, pouting. I had to admit, he was pretty cute. I'd caught myself accidentally staring on more than one occasion.
"Hey!" He returned the grin "one, what makes you think I would even wanna talk to you? And two, I wasn't going to go anyway. I have better plans."

Oh, bugger. I kind of wanted him to want to see me.

"Oh yeah? Like what?" I asked. Once again walking towards my house.
"Taking you the fuck out for dinner" Jimmy said, matter-of-factly.

I paused for a moment and couldn't help the smile that appeared as I turned my head away, crossing the road.

"As long as it's your shout. I'm down"