002. I Think We're Alone Now

☂ 

☂ 

     Nova had never seen anything like the academy.  It was large and vintage, more like a castle than a house.  She paused as she reached the gate in front.  Diego slowed, noticing how she was staring at the academy in awe, with lips slightly parted.  "Why the long face?"

     Her shoulders rose and deflated as she breathed heavily.  "It's just," she allowed her eyes to leave the building and make contact with the handsome boy in front of her. Though that might've been a bad idea due to the fact that Diego was prettier than the building and could take her breath away again just as easy.  Suddenly she forgot to finish the rest of her sentence.  "Are you sure you want me to be here?"

     Diego stared off into space, looking over at a tree on the sidewalk with a cocked head.  Finally, he nodded, making eye contact with Nova again.  "Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure," he opened the gate for her and she followed through.

     Thank God Diego told Nova about Pogo.  Although, Nova was way more worried about Grace.  She knew how much Grace meant to Diego.  "You're gonna love her," Diego said as he opened the door to the library with one hand, holding Nova's hand in the other.

     "I'm gonna love anyone who you love," Nova said, knowing the list of people Diego would kill for was very short.  Diego smiled happily, his cheeks raising so they partially covered his eyes, looking at the dark haired girl.

     "Ma, I'm home," Diego announced his presence to Grace.  Nova let Diego's hand go as she saw the happy look on Grace's face.  Normally she would tease him for being such a momma's boy, but she remembered how Artemis always was with their mom, so she let the thought go, only thinking of the obvious happiness radiating on both Diego and Grace's face — even though she was a robot. 

     Grace happily welcomed Diego into her arms, closing her eyes in bliss as the boy gave her a small squeeze.  "Diego. I've missed you," she said as she let herself take a step back from her son.

     Diego gave her a small nod.  "Mom, I would like you to meet Nova," the dark—haired girl loved how he said her name — like she was a shooting star or a planet in the sky.  Then again, Nova was in love with half the things Diego said.

     Nova took a step forward, extending her hand.  "It's nice to meet you.  Diego has told me so much about you," she smiled.  She was a little taken back when Grace pulled her into a full—on hug. 

     "Well, it's about time," Grace smiled at the girl.  Nova knew she was a robot, yet she felt completely safe and not at all uncomfortable.  Matter of fact, she liked the attention Grace gave her.  Grace's finger ran over a ring on Nova's hand.  "Oh, my," Grace brought Nova's hand up to her face.

     Diego immediately reached his arm out and started shaking his head, pointing at the ring.  "Mom, it's not what you think."

     "Will you be taking the Hargreeves last name when you marry?" Grace batted her eyelashes at Nova, who stood there with a surprised look on her face.