006. Let's Get Dirty

☂

     Back when Nova was fresh out of high school, and Diego had saved her life for the second time, she had made a promise to him that she wouldn't eavesdrop or get herself involved in things he didn't want her to.  Despite both of them knowing that Nova had her fingers crossed behind her back, they would take that promise seriously as they grew older.

     "Hey," Diego greeted Nova as she walked into the room.  She only nodded, as she was chewing a chocolate chip muffin Grace had made.  "Do you mind coming with me to talk to my mom?"

     Nova gulped down the sweet breading.  "Right now?  For what?"

     He shrugged, his arms crossed in that natural tough state.  "Uh, I don't know," he said in a low voice that would normally make Nova weak in the knees in other circumstances.  Nova pushed these thoughts to the back of her head.  "I guess I just wanna talk to her about dad."

     Nova nodded again.  "Well alright, let's go."

     Diego approached his mom first, Nova following like a supportive shadow behind him.  "Mom, we need to talk."

     "Okay, Grace hummed.  "But only for a minute.  I need to finish this cross-stitch."

     Diego looked back at Nova, who only raised her eyebrows softly like she was telling him to go ahead.  He turned back to his mother.  "Everything you did for us when we were kids for me why'd you do it?"

     "Because being your mother is the greatest gift of my life," she replied simply.

     "Is that you saying that?" he asked.

     "I'm not sure what you mean, Diego."

     "I mean, our father, he made you.  When you think something, is it like he's telling you what to say?" Diego stepped forward and pushed the questions onto his run-down robot of a mother.

     "Your father isn't here, silly," Grace smiled.  "Did I do something wrong?"

    "No, it's it's not—" Diego stopped and sighed.  "Look.  It's okay if you hated him.  He was terrible to you, to all of us.

     "Don't say that."

     "Why not?  We were just tools in an experiment to him.  Nothing more.  So I'm saying, I would understand if you know, if—if you wanted to hurt him," Nova's heart broke as she heard Diego speak.

     "Now, now.  Mr Hargreeves was a great man.  Industrialist, inventor, Olympic gold medalist.  He made the world a better place," Grace insisted.

     "Stop it! Do you hear me? Stop trying to defend him!"

     "Alright," Nova stepped closer to them, her gaze directed on her man.  "Let's tone it back down a bit."