Thinking Out Loud

Days like that passed by, and Lan Jingyi didn't notice it was already two weeks he spent with Jiang Cheng. He wouldn't notice if he didn't see him one day, up and about and is walking towards the training grounds. "Sect leader Jiang...?" he called.

Jiang Cheng turned to him and saw him carrying a tray. "No need to bring me breakfast every morning. I am fine now." He said.

"Oh." Lan Jingyi said and looked at the tray filled with food.

Jiang Cheng stared at him. "You seem disappointed." He said as he crossed his arms.

Lan Jingyi's eyes went wide. "I'm not! I'm not thinking like I want for sect leader Jiang to still be sick – " he said, his face filled with protest.

Jiang Cheng's brows raised. "I didn't say that." He said. Lan Jingyi stopped, then his face went red when he realized he'd been too defensive. A soft smile appeared on Jiang Cheng's face. "... Wei Wuxian..." he muttered, then sighed. "This'd be the last day you'll bring me food." He told him.

Lan Jingyi froze, then lowered his head. "Mn." He said. "I'll go bring this back – " he said.

Jiang Cheng cut him off. "Didn't you hear me?" he said. Lan Jingyi looked at him. "I said this is the last day you'll be bringing me food." He said and walked towards Lan Jingyi. "Give me the food." He said as he stopped in front of the youth. When the youth didn't move, he sighed and took the tray from him. He put down the tray on the table. "What're you waiting for?" he called to the youth as he started to eat. "If you don't want to eat, then you can leave – " he said.

Lan Jingyi immediately moved and sat across Jiang Cheng. His face is red and his head hang low. A soft chuckle come out of Jiang Cheng's lips, startling the youth in surprise. But, when he raised his face there's already no trace of a smile, making him puzzled. However, the man is already laughing inside, shaking his head and with a sigh, he said, "You're really like Wei Wuxian." He muttered.

That made the youth snap out of his daze. He looked at the man before him, but didn't react, since the man looked like he didn't realize... he was thinking out loud.

Days later...

Gusu.

"Jingyi." Lan Sizhui called. "Do you want to go night hunting?" he asked.

Lan Jingyi stroked the brush over the paper. "No. You go. I still have to copy the rules two more times." He told Lan Sizhui. His back is upright and neither his head nor shoulder is slouching. Even his gaze is glued on the paper, and each stroke his hand made is graceful.

"... Jingyi." Lan Sizhui called.

"What?" Lan Jingyi said, making another stroke.

Lan Sizhui grimaced and took a deep breath. "Are you alright?" he asked, worried. Before Lan Jingyi could answer he added. "I mean, you looked lifeless lately." He explained. Ever since his friend had come back from Yunmeng his cheerful friend was gone and was replaced by this gloomy and ever serious person.

Lan Jingyi finally stopped. He slowly turned to Lan Sizhui. Even his hair is unmoved. "What are you saying?" he asked. "I'm alive." He said, then looked back at his paper. A smile on his face appeared. He just finished a page. "I made a mistake that's why senior Lan (Qiren) is punishing me. Sorry, Sizhui. You go without me tonight." He told him as he dipped his brush on the ink. "I'll call Zizhen for you later after I finish – " he said.

Lan Sizhui hurriedly stopped him. "It's fine. It's fine. I can go ask Zizhen. I'll call A-Ling, too – " he said.

Lan Jingyi's hand stopped for a second, then resumed again. "Mn." He answered. "I'm sorry." He said.