[ part one ]

| the backstory |

a v e n g e r s

Celeste stands over the man's unconscious body in the alley behind her favorite bar, casually examining her undamaged nail bed. The crisp, New York night air bites at her bare legs, a welcome change from the heat of the packed floor inside as she adjusts the hem of her mini dress.

A slow clapping resonates throughout the dimly lit area, successfully startling the woman as she glances around bewilderedly.

"I didn't realize the circus was in town," a man's voice calls out, causing her to whirl around.

The ladder attached to the roof shakes, drowning out the bar's music as he leisurely climbs down it.

"I didn't realize it was legal to wear such a hideous outfit," she retorts, raising an eyebrow towards his sleeveless shirt once he gets close enough to see.

"It's good to see you too, Wilson."

"I don't think I can say the same about you, Barton."

Celeste crosses her arms, examining the man in front of her. It was safe to say Clint Barton had changed over the years, no longer being the scrawny teenage boy he was the last time she saw him.

He frowns, shifting his weight as her eyes rake over his body - and the sleek bow and arrows slung across his back.

"What do you want?" Celeste finally questions, her curiosity getting the best of her. "I'm sure it's no coincidence this is the first time I've seen you in a decade."

"Actually, it has more to do with what my boss wants," Clint explains, ignoring her snide comment. "I'm here to talk to you about something called the Avengers Initiative."