[ seventeen ]

| saving the world |

t i m e

❝ t i m e ❞

Steve, Natasha, Clint, Celeste, Pietro, and Wanda stand at the edge of the floating rock, staring out at the endless horizon of clouds. Clint glances over to Celeste, subconsciously wrapping his arm around her waist and kissing her temple.

"Cap, these people are going nowhere," Natasha says, breaking the silence. "If Stark finds a way to blow this rock-"

"Not until everyone is safe," Steve argues.

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there?" She asks disbelievingly. "There's no math there."

"I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it."

"I didn't say we should leave," she points out softly, offering a sad smile. "There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

"She's got a point," Celeste sighs in agreement, resting her head on Clint's shoulder.

"Glad you like the view, Romanoff and Wilson," Nick's voice cuts into their earpieces, causing everyone to jump. "It's about to get better."

The wind picks up as an infamous S.H.I.E.L.D helicarrier comes into view. Celeste can't help but to cry out in relief, squeezing Clint's arm as she bounces excitedly.

"Nice, right?" The director brags. "Pulled it out of the mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do."

"Fury, you son of a bitch," Steve chuckles.

"Whoa, do you kiss your mother with that mouth?"

Smaller aircrafts designed to transport people fly out of the helicarrier, moving towards the flying city.

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D?" Pietro breathes out, unable to hide his wonder.

"This is what S.H.I.E.L.D is supposed to be," Steve amends.

"This is not so bad."

"Let's load them up," Steve orders, being the first to move towards one of the many buildings filled with Sokovians.

The group splits up, leading panicked civilians out of buildings and onto the aircrafts as quickly as possible. With everyone desperate to leave the deathtrap, the aircrafts fill up rapidly and they can barely keep up.

"Come on, let's go," Celeste encourages the people rushing past, her smile more genuine this time around despite the headache pounding against her skull.

The little girl she gave gummies to earlier toddles past with her hand tucked into her mother's, obviously more energized after her snack. She waved happily and Celeste waves back, not daring to look away from the two until the kid is safely buckled on the closest aircraft.