1. Indolence ✓

The setting suns were upon them, but like any other day on the planet of Dorian, it was not visible through the thick fog that stuck to the Black Sea surrounding them.

     Athelia watched from the balcony of the stronghold as the day came to a close on the mainland. She could hear the sirens whining in the distance as her people piled out of the factories and mines. For a moment, she imagined them making their way through the busy streets, ducking into pubs or nurseries, but it was fleeting as her eyes fell to the sea that separated her from the dimly lit world she swore to protect.

     A smile fell across her face as she watched the king's bridge appear, inch by inch as her father walked toward their home. His men behind him, holding their swords at the ready as they did every day. Baldur, The God of War, was the only man who ever survived the wrath of Odin and only because he didn't let his temptations rule him. He was a smart man, wise beyond his years, and the long white hair that bounced against his breastplate told the stories of his triumphs.

     Athelia couldn't hold back any longer. Eager for her father's news, she closed her eyes, and when she opened them, the High King was staring down at her with a disapproving look on his worn face.

     "What have I told you about using your magic for indolence?" His voice was stern.

     Her smile faltered, and her lips nearly objected, but with a low sigh, she closed her pale blue eyes and gripped hold of the iron railing she had just been leaning against. She looked back down at her father. He stood still on the bridge, waiting for her to return to him. She needed to know what he knew, and with a grin, she darted through her dimly lit chamber and the maze-like halls of the stronghold.

     Magic was not standard on Dorian. There were very few who possessed it and those that did, trained in hopes they would take place in the King's First Liege. Athelia taught each one of them but, unfortunately, was growing bored with her current neophytes. She needed someone new. Someone who could test her strength and her skills. Someone who could make her sweat or wipe the blood from her lip. 

     Athelia took a step forward, the rush of adrenaline shooting through her as she stared down over the ledge that dropped into the sea. Nothing aside from combat made her feel as glorious then feeling the weightlessness of the bridge fabricate under her boots as she walked.

     She smiled as she approached her father, hands already reaching for the stack of documents held tight in his hands. The King chuckled, holding them back behind him until she bowed and embraced him.

     "You are not going to ask me how my day was?"

     "I already know how your day was, Father," she said. "You do the same thing every day. You check on the mines, you log an hour in the factories, and spend your lunch at Lena's pub with your favorite maiden before heading to the academy."

     "Athelia," he warned, glancing over his shoulder at his brother, Bronen, who was smirking. "Your uncle actually insisted that we have lunch elsewhere today."

     Athelia smirked but narrowed her eyes on the papers in his hand. "As much as I would love to hear all about your day, I would very much like to -"

     His furrowed brows brought her lips to a stop. Her gaze dropped to the ripping waves far below her, and she quickly apologized for her eagerness.

     "I understand you are hungry for new recruits, Athelia but are you sure your current neophytes are ready? I heard you lost one only last week."

     Athelia didn't bat a lash. "Tera had her instructions and failed to follow them properly. If I were to be honest, I feel better knowing she failed her training rather than failing to protect her king."

     Baldur nodded, proud of the woman in front of him. "I admire your eye for weakness Athelia, it keeps our kingdom strong." He placed a hand firmly on her shoulder and smiled as he handed her what she had been waiting on.

     "Thank you, father." She smiled as she held the documents close to her chest. Her father went to speak again, but she looked up with a mischievous grin, and before he could get a word out, her eyes fluttered shut, and she dissipated into thin air.

EDITED. 6/28/21 🖤