50. THOR

Thor stood tall next to the young woman at his side. His hand clenched tightly around his hammer as he awaited his father's summons, unsure of whether or not he should try to console her as she silently weaped. Neither he or Freya had spoken since the portal closed behind them and it wasn't until the grand doors opened in front of them that reality had set in.

He had left against orders. Betrayed his father. Sacrificed Heimdall's and Warriors Three's freedom. Freed the young Dorian from her cell and after all of it, after everything he did for the woman he thought he would spend the rest of his life with, he had nothing.

It was just as Odin said it would be, even more. How was he supposed to tell his father that his wife and his brother both stayed behind. Malekith bad been defeated, yes, but Svartelheim was no more.

He was certain Odin already knew. The convergence was not necessary to see the grim planet go up in a cloud of red smoke, but even then, the look on his father's face when he walked into the tattered throne room with no one but Freya sent his heart racing.

"Father -

Odin slammed his staff against the broken marble he stood on. His advisors and guards stepped back quickly in attempt to escape the wrath he held deep down.

"Father," he tried again. He glanced down at Freya who was nearly shaking her battered leather boots and without thinking, Gripped the girls small hand. "The aether is gone."

"The aether?" Odin chuckled. "You come to me without your wife. Without your brother. And the first words out of your mouth are in regards to the aether?"

Thor felt shamefully for only a moment. He wasn't certain how to handle the situation or explain what had happened. How could he tell his father that he left her there. That he allowed his brother to go back because he knew they bond the two shared was so much more than the vows of marriage they had taken.

He took a deep breathe and sighed as Freya squeezed his hand, holding back a sniffle.

"Athelia and Loki are gone father."