Chapter Two-Daddy Issues

Chapter Two

Daddy Issues

*Percy's POV*

"Percy, do you have something to tell me?" Bucky asks and I flinch before shyly looking up at him.

"No," I mumble and look down at Bucky's feet. A heavy sigh follows, then a gloved hand reaches out and tilts my chin up.

"Think again, kid." He says and I deflate slightly.

"So...the asshole might be a little more than a guardian." I trail off.

"What's going on?" Tony asks from behind me and flips the first batch of pancakes. Steve walks over and puts his hands on his belt.

"Turns out the guy abusing her is her biological father. Not just a guardian. We've officially abducted a minor." Steve reports but has the smallest of smiles on his face as he looks at Bucky.

Bucky turns to him as if he can feel his eyes on his back. "Shut the fuck up, Steve, you still would've done the same thing." At the F-word everyone in the room shushes Bucky while he throws his arms in the air. Meanwhile, tears are gathering in my eyes.

"I'm..." sniffle, "sorry." I look up and meet Bucky's eyes. "You...you wouldn't..." sniffle, "have helped..." sniffle, "me if you..." sniffle, "knew." I cry as Natasha gently reaches up and rubs my back. Bucky turns back to me and furrows his brows, reaching up and gently wiping my tears away.

"Kid, I woulda helped you no matter what you said. No matter who you are, it's not okay to beat kids. It's just a little more complicated now." Bucky assures me. Panic runs through me and I grab onto his hands.

"You're not taking me back! I won't go!" I shout and in an instant, he's picked me up and sat me in his lap, cradling my head to his chest.

"You're not goin' anywhere. What'd I say to you, Percy? I'd said I'd stay with you right, kid?" He asks and wipes his rough glove across the tracks on my cheeks.

"Right." I sniffle and crumple my small fist against his rust shirt.

"I keep my word. We're gonna protect you, it's just a little more complicated now. Not impossible." I can tell he's talking partly to the people around me because his voice loses a bit of its softness. He releases my head so I can look up at his face. Clear eyes meet mine and I sniffle one last time.

Steve steps forward and runs the pad of his thumb rub over my cheek. "You're safe with us, Percy. Uh, Natasha?" He gestures to the door and she nods, shooting me a smile before the two walk out.

"Here, sweetie. Pancakes and syrup." Tony walks over and taps my nose before setting an empty plate, silverware, syrup, and a stack of different kinds of pancakes in front of Bucky and me.

"Stark. Overkill much?" Bucky asks as I turn to sit properly. Tony winks at him.

"You'd know about that, wouldn't you?" He teases and Bucky glares at him. Reaching out, I pat Tony's hand on the counter.

"Thanks," I tell him when he looks at me and grins.

"Persephone, you should teach your ward here some manners." Tony gestures to Bucky and I look up at him with a smile.

"Bucky's nice," I respond and he looks victoriously at Tony. "But why do you wear these gloves all the time?" My hand picks at the Velcro keeping them on and he lets me.

"Yeah, Barnes. What's with the gloves?" Tony repeats my question and retreats behind the counter before Bucky hits him.

"Uh, kid..." He trails off uncertainly as I tug the glove off his right hand and set it nicely on the counter. Scarred and rough, but far better than the feeling of those gloves, I run my hands all over his.