Chapter Nine-Gran'ma Cathy

Chapter Nine

Gran'ma Cathy

*Bucky's POV*

We end up leaving multiple stores with nothing because apparently, we got too many things for the car. I briefly thought of telling him to slow down, then dismissed that almost immediately. There's no slowing Tony down. Tony tells all that someone will be there soon to collect, then we're back in the car and heading back home. A real home. Nerves and joy twist inside me when we stop and I do my best to gauge Percy's reaction as I get out with her in my arms.

"Steve and I used to live here in the 1940s, Percy," I tell her as we approach the old bricks. Steve looks just like I did when I came here alone. As if we've been teleported to a time our own but not quite. Which I guess is pretty true. "I've got a surprise to show both of you when we get there." I glance over at a surprised Steve whose hand is grazing the walls as we walk. As if he can read the stories this building could tell like braille. Tony starts complaining after the first flight of stairs, but each flight fills Steve and me with energy. This is our home. Time hasn't changed that. "You excited?" I ask Percy and she nods with wide eyes. We stop in front of the door and I set her down, handing her the key. "Go ahead and open it for us, Percy." I encourage, hoping to god that she likes the place. With a wide grin on her face, she inserts the key and twists. Her little hand closes around the knob and turns. She and I push the door open together and I hold my breath.

Percy's eyes rove over the room before she laughs and jumps happily. The next two minutes, it is a small apartment after all, are filled with her sprinting around the place laughing and flipping happily. I sigh with more than relief when she finally stops in front of me with a big grin. "Bucky it's so nice!" She tells me and Tony has the decency to keep his scoff to himself.

"You like it?" I ask and lift her up so she's close to me. She nods enthusiastically.

"It's so different." Steve murmurs, staring out the old windows.

"Not everything," I tell him and he turns to me. "Come on." I beckon and we pile into Steve's old room; now to be Percy's. The molding is still on the floor, so the height markers are still in the open. "Remember these?" I tap one and Steve instantly chuckles with disbelief.

"I cannot believe that these are still here." He whispers and it does me good to see I can still bring a smile to his face.

"Wow Rogers, you're shorter than I thought you were." Natasha teases as Steve's fingers skim the many lines.

"You damage this property already, Robocop?" Tony asks and I shrug. He shakes his head with an unsurprised smirk. "Course you did."

"Anyways, Percy. This a sort of chart of Steve and I growing up." I tell her and set her down so she can get close.

"I'm taller than he was!" She announces proudly and we all chuckle.

"It's likely to be that way all the way up, Perce," Steve says self-deprecatingly.

"Not nowadays, Cap." Tony reminds him.

"Could make a mark for you, Steve. And you, Percy." I tickle her side and she giggles. Tony pulls out a pen from that goddamn trench coat and hands it to me. I tilt my head in thanks before crouching and turning back to Persephone.

"Alright, stand with your back to the wall and I'll make you your own mark." Percy is quick to obey and stands as straight as she can. Nostalgia bites at my heart as I make the little tick mark among Steve and I's. "Okay. Now we put your name." I hand the pen to her and she scribbles it down. She hands me back the pen and tucks herself to my side. "then the date." I write that and stand with Percy on my hip. "We'll keep doing that as you get taller and taller." She nods.