Klieria

Marie led Klieria around the castle to find the sources of the voices. At certain points, the whispers would fluctuate but even though Marie had lived in the castle her whole life she had no clue where any entrances to the secret passageways would be, besides the one in her room.

Klieria knew of a few that led from the outside into certain locations because the bounty hunter had told her about them. But none of those would help Marie without giving away her secrets.

"Maybe we should ask some people and see if they know anything." Marie suggested as they stumbled down yet another staircase.

"Who's the oldest person in the castle? Or who's been here the longest?" Klieria asked.

"I think that the healer, Zaphina, is the oldest. She served when my grandfather was the king. If anyone would know about the passageways, it would be her." Marie said, "Follow me. I know where she works."

Klieria quickly followed Marie down two more staircases and by the bottom, both girls were out of breath.

"We can't be caught down here, okay?" Marie said turning to Klieria. "If the king finds out..." She trailed off.

"The king is sick. You probably don't have to worry about him." Klieria said with a small laugh.

Marie turned away and tried to force out a chuckle, but Klieria could tell it was fake. What was Marie hiding?

Then she remembered the letter about the dragons. Could there be more happening here than she had intially thought?

It was dark in these lower levels of the castle. It seemed that they were in the dungeons.
"She lives down here?" Klieria asked skeptically as she shivered.

"Sometimes she brews potions and remedies that don't smell very delightful. The castle staff pretty much forced her to work down here." Marie explained as they came to stop in front of an old, wooden door.

She wrapped on the thick door with her knuckles and waited until it was pulled open.
Standing inside was the oldest person Klieria had ever seen. She had grey hair and she was hunched over a bit. Her hands trembled as she clutched a small vial of a red liquid.

"Zaphina!" Marie exclaimed cheerfully as she wrapped the old healer in a hug.
Klieria was shocked at the sight, but said nothing until Marie turned to her.

"I...I didn't know that you knew her so well." Klieria stuttered.

"Well, after my mother passed away I used to visit Zaphina for company all the time. I don't see her as much anymore but she's a very kind women and an amazing healer." Marie explained with a smile.

"Oh, I see." Klieria replied as they entered the small, cluttered cell-like room.
Thick, old books were stacked on every surface, vials and containers of potions were scattered around on shelves, and the room was filled with smoke coming from a cauldron.

"What can I help you with today, dear?" Zaphina said in a squeaky but quiet voice.

"Zaphina, we're wondering if you know anything about the secret tunnels and passageways in this castle." Marie asked promptly, getting straight to the point.
Zaphina, who had been turned around preparing tea, spun back around to look at Marie.

"Why yes! I know about the passageways. They travel through the whole castle." Zaphina said, explaining the obvious.

Marie sighed but plastered on a patient smile. "But do you know where any entrances are?"

"Oh no. I can't tell you that." Zaphina said with a frown.

"Why not, Zaphina?" Klieria asked, entering the conversation.

"It's top-secret. Only a few people know. Actually some of them have died. I believe now, only the king and I know where the entrances are. And I don't think he'd be very happy if I told you girls." Zaphina said with a motherly but somewhat batty tone of voice.

"Zaphina, please!" Marie begged, "It's urgent!"

Zaphina paused and squinted at Marie. "What is so important that you need to know about 100 year old tunnels that are probably dusty and creepy?"

"Umm...well." Klieria started and looked to Marie to finish the statement.

"We're hearing voices." Marie said with finality.

"Hearing voices? Ha ha, so am I! But that is probably a result of old age. I'm almost 97, you know." Zaphina said with a chuckle.

Klieria could tell that Marie was slightly exasperated at the lack of information they were collecting.

"Zaphina, this is serious." Marie said sternly. "Something is afoot in the castle and we intend to find out what it is."

Zaphina's joking face turned more serious, "I know, Marie. But I can't help you and risk the wrath of the king."

Klieria wanted to yell at them and tell them that the king was sick. There wasn't much he could to them while laying deathly ill in bed. But by now, she was sure that something wasn't right.

"But, here, enjoy some warm tea. It should cheer you right up." Zaphina said handing a cup to Marie and then a second one to Klieria.

Klieria twisted the teacup back and forth on its saucer as the silence grew longer. The steam rising on the scalding drink smelled delicious.

"What is the flavor of this?" Klieria asked with curiosity.

"I am glad you asked." Zaphina said with a warm smile, "It's chamomile. The herbs help you to sleep more soundly."

Klieria looked into the tea's murky depths as an idea began to form in her mind.

"Sleep you said?" Klieria asked glancing back up at Zaphina and watched as she nodded happily. "Is there something a bit stronger? Maybe a potion that could knock me out for the night so I am completely rested?"

"Well, sometimes such strong potions are dangerous, but I have something in mind." Zaphina said as she stood up and turned towards her cabinets stocked with vials.

Zaphina began to hum as Marie tried to make eye contact with Klieria, but Klieria never raised her eyes to see what question Marie was trying to silently communicate to her.

Zaphina finally selected a small potion bottle and spun back around to sit down at the table. She held the bottle out to Klieria who grasped it.

"This is strong enough to knock someone out for 12 hours if you take it in little doses. So you have to be very careful, but I think if you allow yourself enough time to react to the side effects, you should be fine. May I ask why you want this?" Zaphina asked.

"Oh. Well, I have a lot of trouble sleeping and I figured if I took some each night, I could be better rested to serve the princess." Klieria said, smiling at Marie.

Marie smiled back but something about it felt shallow. Almost as if she suspected Klieria of the plan she was formulating.

"And you said something about side effects?" Klieria asked as she slipped the vile into her pocket.

"Oh, the usual. Migraines and nausea. So on. Nothing you can't handle." Zaphina said, patting Klieria on the arm.

Klieria smiled at the reassurance, but she had nothing to worry about. She wouldn't be the one drinking the potion.