Klieria

Marie had cried until her eyes were red and swollen and her panicked breathing slowed. They had collapsed into the chair and Klieria had held Marie tight in her arms until she'd fallen asleep again. 

Now, Marie was curled up on Klieria's lap with her head resting against Klieria's shoulder and her legs just barely skimming the floor.

The silence had given Klieria time to really think. In a few days, they were going to kidnap her. The poor girl sleeping on her lap who was exhausted and traumatized. Was it fair? She'd grown closer to Marie since the time she'd agreed to help Elizabeth with the mission. Elizabeth had promised a third of the bounty money, a sum large enough to free her from the debt her parents had left her with. Klieria could start a fresh life away from the castle. It was so tempting that she couldn't resist the offer. But now... it almost felt like a betrayal of Marie's trust.

With a sleepy yawn, Marie slowly opened her eyes and squirmed. She looked around the room, confused.

"Klieria?" Marie seemed to realize that she was laying on Klieria's lap.

She stumbled to her feet, "I'm sorry- I didn't mean to-"

Klieria quickly rose to her feet to reassure Marie.

"It's okay! Don't worry! Do you remember anything that happened?"

Klieria saw Marie's eyes change from embarrassment to a darker emotion and she instantly regretted asking.

"No, never mind. I'm sorry I brought it up."

"I forgive you." Marie paused and turned towards the window. "But what are we going to do? There's a huge, dangerous army living in the palace and no one is doing anything about it. It's up to us to stop them."

"Marie, there's nothing we can do. How can two teenagers stop them?"

"I don't know, but we have to do something."

"Marie! I don't really want to die because you did something stupid."

Marie looked away, her eyes filled with hurt.

"I'm so sorry," Klieria apologized with a sigh, "I didn't mean that. Really I didn't."

"Ria, sometimes I wonder about you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Klieria's head whipped back up to eye Marie's turned back.

"I wonder if you have good intentions at heart."

The words stung more than a slap.

"Of course I do!" Klieria protested.

Marie spun around angrily, "Then why do you just want to stand back and watch my father kill anyone in his path between him and the thrones' of the other kingdoms?"

Klieria bit her lip and forced back the tears.

"Marie, I don't want to hurt you. Or anyone. But you don't know what it's like to not have a plush life. To not have money for food. I grew up on the streets with nothing. No one to be my family and take care of me."

"What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with-"

"It has everything to do with this!" Klieria couldn't control her emotions; she let the tears slide down her cheeks. "I can't let you stop the king. Everything will be okay eventually."

"If it's money you need I can-"

"No. I'll be getting money soon enough."

"Then what, Ria? Are you just trying to make me mad?" Marie accused.

"No, please. Marie. Forgive me. I'm forgetting my place."

"Yes, you are."

There was silence as the two girls stared at each other.

Then finally Marie collapsed onto her bed. She rubbed her eyes with the heels of her palms until they were almost redder than Klieria's.

"I'm sorry too. I'm not in my right mind."

Klieria slowly crossed the room and sunk down beside Marie.
"It's okay. I can't even imagine the stress you're under right now. You want to stop your father, but you don't have the means."

"Don't you want to stop him too?" Marie turned to Klieria. Klieria could see in her eyes that she wanted to believe that Klieria was on her side.

"I do, Marie. Believe me. But it might not happen in the way you're thinking."

"Wait, are you planning something?" Marie asked.

"No, I-" Klieria paused to search for the right words. "You'll find out soon enough.

"Klieria, I don't know what's wrong with you, but something isn't the same. You're not the friend I remember."

If Klieria's heart had stung before, then it was aflame now. The words burned through her skin like acid. She remained silent.

"Why would you keep secrets from me?" Marie whispered hoarsely.

"To protect you. Marie, you know there's nothing I value more than your safety."

"Except your life. I know why you don't want to face him." Marie accused.

Klieria swallowed, "Why?"

"Because you're too scared. You don't want to get killed. I'm willing to risk my life for the good of the kingdoms, but you-"

"Enough, Marie! Please, you know that's not true," Klieria interjected.

"You're a coward, Klieria! Face it." Marie pointed to the door. "If you don't want to help, get out."