Eve

When darkness had fallen and the stars had appeared in the night sky, Eve hurried towards the Tumblings with her cloak over her head. She slipped into a narrow alleyway that, according to the map she had gotten, would lead to a bridge into the Tumblings.

Just in case, Eve carried her whip aloft to fight off any people who might be lurking in the shadows. She knew to be wary of cities, although, living where she had for her whole life, strangers had never been much of a danger or a problem.

Even so she hurried through the narrow passages and made sure she didn't miss the clever twists and turns of the brick path. Through doorways, under archers, over potholes, until finally she came to the bridge.

It was a shockingly small, stone bridge and the change between the poor houses and noble houses was evident. There were many people hunched over and wrapped in rags shuffling their way back and forth despite the late hour.

Eve tried to blend in and make her way over to the Tumblings. Unsurprisingly, the Tum's Rum was not on the map. As Marie had said, she would have to ask someone. But who? Would people be wearing their badges outside of the tavern?

The crowd pushed Eve into a small alcove to the left of the bridge by a tree growing out of a small house. From here, she could safely observe the masses traveling the bridge.

Suddenly a group of two people caught Eve's eye. She wasn't an expert at any of this sneaking around business but something was definitely off about the way these men walked. Their swagger was almost too haughty for people of the Tumblings. They seemed almost too good at blending in. Like they'd had experience with this kind of thing. Like maybe... They were bounty hunters.

Eve jumped into action and hurried quickly after them, figuring that wherever they were headed was probably important.

She followed them as they turned around many bends and twists and after about ten minutes, she realized that she was lost. They had just been right in front of her and then they were gone. Eve spun quickly in a circle and found that she was alone in a small courtyard. She took deep breaths and tried to not panic.

Then in a flurry of black cloths, Eve's legs were swept out from under her and she landed on the cold flagstone with an abrupt cry for help, cut short by a gloved hand covering her mouth. She struggled to get away but her arms and legs were pinned to the ground.

"Why are you following us?" Asked a gravelly voice in the dark.

Eve tried to answer but the hand hadn't moved. Maybe no answer was safer, she figured while trying to keep herself from trembling in fear. This was not what she had signed up for.

"That's what I thought." The voice answered to Eve's silence. "Where are you going?"

This time the hand moved just enough for Eve to squeak out, "Tum's Rum."

There was a long period of silence before the person spoke again. "I notice that you wear the colors of Meldest."
Eve realized that when she had been tackled to the ground her cloak had slipped off her shoulder to reveal the badge from Princess Marie.

She nodded before stuttering, "Y-yes."

There were a series of whispers between her attackers; Eve had now determined that there were two of them.

"We'll take you to the Tum's Rum, if you'll agree to help us with something in the palace." The voice proposed after the two men had come to an agreement.

Desperate to be released Eve responded, "Yes! Anything you want!"

At this reply, the person pulled her to her feet roughly and started to push her down an alley. Eve was led around many turns until she found that she was standing in front of a decrepit and derelict shopfront that rose eerily and soundlessly two stories into the foggy night sky. The windows were boarded over with wooden planks, dust coated the door handle, and it looked as if the place had been closed for years.

"Here we are." The voice announced quietly.

Eve glanced up at the shop again with a puzzled look. Here? This place looks abandoned. But she didn't voice her confusion and waited.

There was a scraping sound as if metal on stone and Eve saw that her mysterious attackers were pushing a grate off a hole in the ground which probably lead to the sewers.

"Down here." The person said as they began to descend the ladder.

Down there? Eve thought, horrified, looking at the dark depths that could hide any sort of evil.

"You wanted to go to the Tum's Rum? Here it is. Surprised?"

Eve swallowed and shook her head though she knew that the gesture couldn't be seen in the dark. "No. Not surprised. I'm ready."

Eve slid into the hole and grasped the rusty rungs to slowly lower herself into the chilly darkness. Her feet met the bottom of the tunnel which was covered in slimy, sludge. Cringing, Eve trudged her way along, led only by the sounds of footsteps in front of her.

"Don't worry, it's not far."

Eve hugged herself to keep warm and shivered as the smallest sounds echoed off the narrow walls.

They came up to a tall, wooden door that, on first appearance, seemed to be encrusted shut by dirt and rust, but upon closer inspection, was a facade. One of the supposed bounty hunters pulled the door open and immediately Eve was barraged with explosive and colorful sights, sounds and scents.

People were singing and talking at a level almost too loud for Eve to handle and bursts of laughter rippled through the room. Music was being played and rhythms were tapped out on anything available: tables, chairs, and knees.

As the door was pushed completely open, Eve's eyes hurt from trying to take everything in. It was a complete contrast to the dark, dank sewers she had just walked through. It seemed like almost a magical transformation. The room was dimly lit by candles, but the lack of light was made up for with the energy of the occupants and the decorations covering the walls. People were constantly moving around and dancing. Drinks were being bought at the long bar counter along the back of the tavern. Whispered conversations were being held by figures draped in cloaks in small seated booths lining the sides of the room.

And the smells that wafted on the faint breeze were an overwhelming mixture of sweat and delicious scents coming from the food. The signature rum which was being drunk by almost everyone was a sweet smelling alcohol. Chicken legs and soup gave off such a wonderful aroma that Eve's mouth watered.

This tavern was source of life amidst death and darkness. It was a secret and hidden haven underneath the cautious stillness of the Tumblings for people to enjoy themselves. Mainly the queen's people it seemed, considering how blue and gold badges she could see. So many choices, but who would be most reliable?

"Meet us in the corner over there in an hour. We'll get our work done and you finish yours then we'll discuss your end of the agreement."

Eve had almost forgotten about the two men who had led her here. She glanced over to glimpse their faces now that they had stepped into the light, but as she had suspected before their appearance was concealed by a brown leather mask.

Unlike she had assumed however, her swift and mysterious attackers were indeed female.

Shocked by this discovery, Eve's jaw dropped. "You're women!"

They nodded in reply.

"But you were such excellent attackers." Eve said with a frown.

"And who said girls can't fight well? We've been bounty hunters since we were young. We just met each other actually." The one girl replied. She was shorter than Eve with brown hair that peeked out from under her cloak hood. Clutched in her hands, probably from habit, were two beautiful knives.

"Your knives are well made." Eve noted gesturing to them.

"Er, thank you. I should probably put these away." The girl said and tucked the knives into her waistband.

"Maybe...we should discuss my end of the agreement now. Because I think I could use your help again." Eve said eyeing them.

"For what price?" The girl asked with a smirk.