Dark Times

Hadrian clenched his jaw, portraying his frustration at being questioned so outright. His mother, Lily Potter stood by the doorway, suspicion smearing her beautiful features. Her delicate brows were drawn together, narrowed and guarded.

The pretty maid stood next to her, close enough to make Hadrian believe she was using Lily as a shield

The pretty maid stood next to her, close enough to make Hadrian believe she was using Lily as a shield. The girl was scared of him, but it wasn't just simple fear.

From the side of the house a young girl ran towards Hadrian, her hair cascading like a river wave behind her - carrying a small flower in her hand.

"Harry!" Remi screamed beaming.

Hadrian turned away from his mother, opening his arms to his younger sister who ran into his chest. Grunting he lifted her, as a warm kind smile lit up his face.

"Hey baby," Hadrian smiled, tucking a strand of brown hair behind her ear.

Remi Potter giggled, her voice gentle and sweet. She opened her small palm and pressed it sweetly against Hadrian's cheek. Lily Potter stood speechless. Everything had changed in that moment as Hadrian had become human. Where he was previously hard and icy, he was now soft and warm. His eyes had dimmed to a warm earthy green, that brought to mind primitive trees and hopefully rays in a dark starry sky. His muscles had abandoned their strained tension, becoming defined yet supple, making his body no longer appear so formidably imposing. Carla looked at the predator before her. But that wasn't right... he was no longer a hunter. He wasn't preying on victims, encircling them in a viscous game of cat and mouse. This was worse - and not for the small child embraced in Hadrian Potter's arms but for everyone else.

Remi Potter was in all aspects adorable. Her soft curls of her dark alluvial brown hair, contained brighter tones of diluted red and Grecian gold. The girl's eyes were the blended combination of both mother and father - merging light brown and vibrant green creating a warm sparkling hazel.

Carla shook her head, her heart pounding. This was worse for everyone but that little girl. If Hadrian Potter was capable of such warmth, that meant his cold cruelty was a choice. Carla had first assumed Hadrian Potter knew no love and therefore could not love. He would almost be understandable then - the tragic result of a loveless childhood. Carla understood the fundamentals to know what led to cruelty, apathy and aggression. But that wasn't the case, not for Hadrian Potter.

"What do you have there?" Hadrian asked Remi, his voice deep yet relaxed - a soft warm baritone.

Remi Potter raised the small daisy in the air for him to see, twirling it in her fingers. Hadrian was aware of the eyes piercing the side of his face - but chose to ignore them. He opened his hand for his sister to drop the flower into and regarded it for a moment, feigning rapt interest.

"It's a Lily!" Remi chirped cheerfully.

The little girl grinned from ear to ear, dimples forming on her round rosy cheeks. Hadrian frowned for a moment, but quickly changed his expression to bright curiosity.