Let Her Be Her

A QUICK AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Dear friends,

I launched a Patreon where you can get early access to written works (including this story) + some other perks for only 1,50 USD. All of the funds are going to the self-publishing of my future books. Consider checking out my Patreon (it's in my Linktree which is in my bio).

Happy reading!

SONG: BTS - Sea

As Renesmee Cullen was gazing at the view of the beach in front of her, the wind was blowing her freshly cropped hair. It used to go to her waist before she made the dramatic decision to donate it. Now it barely passed her shoulders.

She was quietly thinking about how unfair it was that her family never saw her as the growing and developing person she was, but only objectified her. How her hair was a symbol of innocence. Why? Because up until then, it had always been styled in perfect pin curls? Idiots.

Renesmee inhaled, digging deeper into her inner thoughts. Sadly, it didn't last long. She heard familiar large footsteps approaching her. That had to be Jacob. Who else?

She sighed. "If you're going to read me the riot act for cutting my hair, save it. There are more people who need it more than I do."

Jacob looked at her askew. "Why do you think I would lecture you about your hair? It's yours - just do whatever the hell you want with it."

The young girl shrugged her arms. "Because everyone else did?", and she mimicked how her parents, especially her mother, thought her once long locks had been the most precious thing in the whole entire universe. Screw them.

Jacob raised his eyebrow, curious, "But is this the only reason why you changed your hair?"

Renesmee sighed yet again. "I'm just sick of everyone controlling my appearance. I hate how aunt Alice chooses my clothes and how my aunt Rosalie does my hair!", she turned to him, "Speaking of which, do you think blonde hair will look good on me? Or how about pink?"

Jake chuckled and attempted to run his fingers through her locks of hair before Ness pulled away. She had grown to hate it when people touched her. It reminded her of her ability, her vulnerability was exposed when she used it. So she had decided to learn to control it. No more dream-watching at night from her mother. Never again.

Part of him wanted to understand her. New Year had just passed and she probably had resolutions, like most people. He couldn't blame her for wanting to try new things. At the same time, he couldn't get it why the sudden rebellion. Her parents had been nothing but loving throughout the years. Same went for the rest of the Cullen family. But perhaps that was not the hybrid's perspective of things. She probably saw them as the villains of her story at that moment.

"We'd better get you home, babe," he called but received simply a scoff. Why would Renesmee want to go home - to be lectured from the adults?

"Come on!", he encouraged and grasped her arm, leading her to his car.

The journey back home had been silent. Renesmee refused to speak, annoyed. Jacob was supposed to be the one she felt the closest to. Then why did he still treat her like she was a child when clearly she was no longer one?

And at home, the situation wasn't any better. From the moment they entered the Cullen manor, Alice wouldn't stop nagging her niece about her hair, while Renesmee was rolling her eyes and listening with half an ear, focused on what was happening in the other room. She could hear faint arguing between her parents and her imprinter:

"We are her parents, Jacob. Not you. When you have your own children, you set rules in your own house."

She couldn't see how Jacob was slowly shaking his head, only trying to speak up for what he believed:

"All I was saying is that she is growing up and not only that. She lives in a century where people experiment all the time. Let her be her."

Renesmee's lips couldn't help but form in a small smile. While Jacob had defended her numerous times, she felt that it would be different. Indeed he was right. Her parents had to allow room for change.