Chapter 38

She was lost.

Like a sailor without a compass, caught in the middle of a storm while relentless waves and wind pounded at her as she struggled to stay afloat. Like a wolf who'd been dropped in the middle of the Sahara, its instincts useless against the unfamiliar environment of heat and burning sun. She was lost, routed in place by her emotions, so heavy and binding that all she could do was stare.

"Guys, Val is back." Summer's voice called through the intercom and reluctantly, they stepped away from each other. Shay gazed at him, wondering what would happen next, wondering what they were now.

"Guess it's time for the next mission." Noah said with a tilted smile. Shay nodded, and grabbed his hand after he offered it to her. Together, they walked through the workout room and up the stairs. Noah let go of her hand when they reached the kitchen but she still followed him to the second floor, only parting ways when they reached their respective bedroom doors. Then they went inside, showered and dressed, and met back downstairs like nothing happened.

"Alright guys, it's time to bring down a serial killer." Val began from the head of the table. Behind her, five women's faces were projected on the screen. Shay kept focused ahead of her despite her urge to glance at Noah, who was sitting across the table. Noah, whom she had made out with just ten minutes ago. She could still feel the ripples of passion on her skin, heating her, distracting her.

"We don't have a name or a face. The FBI is referring to him as the Twilight killer due to the nature of the murders." Val continued. Shay knew this man. One of Val's tasks while she had been gone was for everyone to keep up with the news, and she had seen this man with one of his latest victims. "He picks out his victims from a random bar and each of them is a young female with pale skin and long brown hair, like that girl from the movie. After dancing with them, he takes them to the alley, bites their neck, drinks some of their blood, then thrusts a wooden stake into their hearts."

A picture of the most recent victim was broadcasted on the screen. It was a brunette of at least twenty three years of age wearing a red dress, the color of it also masking the blood that had no doubt covered her body. A wooden stake protruded from her chest and somehow kept her standing against the brink wall, her head cocked to the side and arms hanging limply beside her.

"He also prefers girls in red. This is his fifth victim so far, all in Brooklyn." Val concluded.

"That sick fuck." Summer grumbled from next to Shay. "So what's the plan?"

"Shay, since you have the likeness of all of his victims, you will be the bait." Val's blue eyes were on her, waiting. "If that's ok."

Shay glanced back at the most recent victim with a sick feeling in her stomach. There was no doubt in her mind that this man had to die, and if she could help, she would. She'd always wanted to be a spy and now she was one. "Of course. I'm in."

She glanced at Noah before she could stop herself and saw that he was glaring at her, his mouth set in a thin line at her answer.

"Summer, Jon, and Noah, I want all of you there as well. Even though we're only going after one guy, I'd prefer you have as much backup as possible. Especially since this is Shay's first real mission." Val commanded.

"Sure thing. When do we leave?"

*******

"Does it make you feel weird at all that you're shopping for a dress that will attract a killer?" Summer asked. The two girls had gone to the mall since Shay's closet had next to nothing, and had spent the last twenty minutes perusing the racks in search of the perfect eye-catching red gown. So far, Shay had found nothing but proof that she hated shopping.