Chapter 40

Valerie Briggs didn't do planes.

Sure, when they had a mission on the other side of the country, she made an exception. That's why they all had fake IDs that they used only for travel. Airports ran your information through a database and essentially tracked your movements, not to mention all of the cameras and security. When airports could be avoided, they were.

For example, now.

Noah sat next to Jon on the four and a half hour bus to New York City after being dropped off at the terminal by Val. They all used fake names and paid cash, getting rid of whatever paper trail that could link them to what might happen.

In this case though, he supposed it didn't matter. Thanks to the bounty on the Twilight Killer's head, they were essentially getting paid by the government to get rid of this guy and thus couldn't get in trouble. Still, it was unnerving to know that the FBI was tracking Shay's every move.

"This trip is gonna be dope, man." Jon said from the window seat beside him. Since they had gotten on a six a.m. bus, the first three hours had been spent sleeping. Now, as they were nearing their destination, Jon was awake and wired as ever.

"Why's that?"

"Cause we get to go out every night till we find the guy." Jon exclaimed. "We're basically getting paid to party."

"True." Noah replied, though he didn't really care about the money. The paychecks they received weren't what was keeping any of them there, and weren't much anyway. Instead, they were given a house with everything they could possibly need and that was more than enough for them.

Noah looked through the packet Val had given them upon leaving and looked at all of the bars that could be targeted. The criteria was that it had to be in Brooklyn with a dark alley nearby, and she had drawn on a map pinpointing where each body had been found. She also suggested that maybe these locations came together to make some sort of vampiric symbol, or something else related to that fantastical species. She told them to look out for symbols since serial killers are clever, and sometimes like to make their murders like a puzzle that they want someone to solve. They want credit for their work, and since this man was still nameless, there was a chance he might be getting sloppy to make it easier to solve.

After studying for a bit, Noah's gaze was drawn to Shay, who was sitting a couple of seats ahead of them on the aisle. Her hair was tied up in a neat bun revealing her delicate neck. She was talking to Summer about something, her head occasionally turning toward the window when she said something. Thinking back to their conversation earlier, he wanted to punch himself. Since when was he jealous asshole?

It wasn't until the bus stopped that she looked his way, and that was only when he was walking next to her to get to the metro. The four of them walking in a line with their bags being wheeled behind them, dodging the New Yorkers and their quick movements.

The apartment they were staying at was in Brooklyn, just a quick train ride off Manhattan and into a neighborhood close to the river. Noah stepped inside the place and immediately appreciated how simple it was. Sometimes Val set them up in places with loud colors and weird themes, like the patriotic house in Cape Cod. Thankfully, this one was basic with its white paint, wooden floors, and black and white photos scattered along the walls. The entryway was short and led to the living room, which had an orange couch and a fireplace that was painted white along with the walls. The only decorations were an occasional green fake plant to give it a pop of color, but other than that, it was just modern and clean.

"There are four bedrooms, right?" Summer said as she carried her giant suitcase past the living room and into the hallway.

"If not, I don't mind sharing." Jon teased from the back of the group, each of them trudging through the hall to claim the first available room. There were in fact, four.

Noah couldn't help but disappointed. If anyone had to share, he definitely wouldn't mind having Shay next to him.

After putting his suitcase on the bed, Noah walked to the room across from him and tapped lightly on the door. Shay was pulling out clothes from her bag and putting them on hangers and in drawers. Apparently, she was moving in.

"Can we talk real quick?" Noah asked, his voice not as strong as he would have liked.

"I don't really have time." She didn't even glance his way.

Noah stepped inside anyway and shut the door behind him, which finally got her to look at him. She stopped what she was doing and crossed her arms, strands of loose hair hanging in front of her face after escaping from the bun.

"I just wanted to apologize for last night. I overreacted and it won't happen again." Noah began. 

"Sure it won't."

Noah sighed. "Come on, Shay. Can you blame me for wanting you all to myself?"

"Who says you have me at all?" She challenged, cocking her head to the side.

He took a couple of steps forward. "You did."

"Oh?"

Another step forward. He was just a foot away from her now, close enough to see the light shade of pink darkening her cheeks.

"Shay, you in there?" Summer's voice called through the door, interrupting whatever Noah had been about to say. Though really, he knew he wouldn't have had the courage to anyway. He couldn't give her that kind of power.

"Yeah." She squeaked. "Come in."

The door opened and Summer looked between them both, confusion in her features before she concentrated on Shay and spoke again. "I'm gonna scope out the bars now if you wanna come."

"Yeah."

"You can too, Noah. Unless you want to stay with Jon and do research here."

To stay with Jon or take an awkward yet controlled walk with Summer and Shay? He didn't even have to think about it. "I'll stay."

"Ok. Let's get to work then."