Chapter 46

Shay had visions of Noah coming to save her. In one of them, he was wearing a cape and black riding boots, his outfit looking like that of a prince. He was riding a white horse with a sword in his hand, gallantly slaying the dragon before saving her from the tower in which she was trapped. When he saw her, he planted a kiss on her lips and they lived happily ever after.

Reality wasn't as sweet. She faded in and out of consciousness, the throbbing in her head accompanied by soreness in her arm. The two men had come back in and were talking amongst themselves, though Shay had no idea what they were saying. She glanced at Alec a couple of times and saw concern on his face. Was he worried about her? Shay giggled to herself quietly at that thought. Two guys who wanted to keep her safe? Now that was just too much.

Just then, her white knight came crashing through the door. Except he wasn't wearing a suit or riding a horse. He was in jeans and a hoodie, the tattoos on his arm poking through his sleeve. And his face, he didn't look gallant at all. There was a rage in him that Shay hadn't seen before. She gazed at him for a while, hoping that the feeling of her stare would be enough to make him look her way. He didn't, though. Not a single glance in her direction, nor a single word.

The two men looked at him and nodded with approval before following him outside. And then Alec and Shay were alone.

Tears streamed down her face before she was even aware she was crying. Why was she crying, even? Surely, things were going to work out after this.

"Shay, it's okay. Help should be coming soon."

She heard Alec's voice in the distance but it was jumbled. She was still focused on the doorway, waiting for Noah to return. Waiting for him to save her from the dragon that hurt her and left her tied up and helpless. He said he'd never let anyone hurt her.

The door opened again a couple minutes later, or maybe hours, she didn't know. Through it walked an angel, the same angel that had saved her six years ago. Her vision blurred and Shay saw a glowing light behind her, illuminating her already heavenly appearance.

Finally, she was saved.

*********

Noah could still see the hopeful look on her face.

Even through the blood and tears, and the obvious concussion that had her swaying in her chair, he saw the hope. Her eyes shone at him like he was a fucking prince slaying dragons to get to her when in reality, he was the villain with horns that had caused her pain in the first place.

That's why, as he had stormed into that room, he only allowed himself one brief glance at her injured body before leaving again. He couldn't bear to see the damage that he had done.

The image stayed with him though, and it fueled the rage that got him to that apartment in the first place. It wasn't until he was standing in the hallway that he actually let some of the fire out, directing it at the guy closest to him.

"I should kill you for what you've done." Noah growled as he slammed the bearded man's body against the hallway outside the door, pressing his forearm into his throat while his other hand pushed on his chest.

His companion, an older man with a receding hairline, stepped next to Noah and put a hand on his shoulder. "Calm down, kid. Don't make me go back in there."

Noah glared at the man he was restraining, staring into his brown eyes and hating the stoic look on his face. He didn't look afraid. Not even a little bit. Just like the other fuckers he'd met in Marconi's family.

Slowly, Noah eased up on his throat. Even through the thick beard that disguised his face, Noah could see the smirk as if Noah's torment was amusing for him.