Part 35

________________________________________

Few Days Later,

Khushi was, quite deservedly, declared as the new President of State Pediatricians Committee after the untimely and unfortunate demise of the previous member. She previously held many honorary positions and also worked as a delegate to numerous conferences held pan-India and globally. After the initial condolence, remembrance and investiture, Khushi was ready to take up her duties as the President when she walked into her cabin.

"Sorry, Khushi, but we have an important Court case today in court and you will have to attend it, in the your right as a President. A few of our members, conducting independent research, have found out three companies manufacturing drugs which are potentially harmful for the children, due to higher than the recommended concentrations of the constituents present in them and some controversial components present. This rushed investiture is also due to the same," explained Sumit, the Secretary of the Committee.

"But why was I not informed of the same before? At least, I would have prepared for it," questioned Khushi, taking the file forwarded by Sumit which had the details of the composition of the drugs.

"You had suddenly taken leave and turned up married without telling any of us, so we thought that we will keep you out of this since the case had begun when you left to Shillong but when Kushal Sir passed away and we came to know he wanted you to be the President, the Committee decided that you were the best candidate for the post and as a President, you are necessary to attend the proceedings," he replied, his tone expressing his apology for the same.

Khushi absorbed the information along the constituents mentioned in the file. Her memory along with her expertise in Pharmacology indicated the various side effects which could manifest through the prolong usage and exposure of them and which were particularly enhanced in case of children since their neurons were still not myelinated completely.

"I completely understand your reasons, Sumit. Also, this looks serious and needs to be taken care of immediately. Let's go," said Khushi, taking her belongings from the cabin as Sumit smiled at her professional mannerisms and followed her to the parking where the other committee members were waiting for them.

Sumit and Khushi got onto the car registered under the Committee's name as he began briefing her further about the case and the steps they had taken, the way the companies had continuous ignored the warnings as it ignited the fire of resentment in her heart at the companies which were playing with the lives of several innocent children just for materialistic pleasures.

________________________________________

Special Court,

"May I call upon the Defendants of the case : AyurCare, Shanthi Medicals and Bose Group?"

Khushi felt the very ground underneath her feet slip apart as Shanthi Medicals was the healthcare company owned by her own husband - Arnav Singh Raizada. She could not understand why he hid the case proceedings from her and how could his company play so dirty.

As the Defendants paid their respects to the Bench consisting of members from Judiciary as well as the Medical Council of India, Khushi earnestly hoped that the Shanthi Medicals mentioned was not the one owned by Arnav, since he had never mentioned of such a case ever before.

But alas, destiny was in no mood to fulfill her dreams as she found herself facing her husband when he turned around to take his seat and their eyes met each other; while one held surprise and shock the other pair held disbelief and pain.

"Let us begin the proceedings! The Prosecution may begin," announced the Chief of the Bench, Dr. Madhuri Sharma.

"Thank you, your Honor! I would like to call upon the Advisor to the State, Pharmacological Affairs, Dr. Vishal Bose and Advisor to the State, Pediatrics, Dr. Harshwardhan Kapoor," requested the lawyer of the Prosecution, Aditi Singh. 

"Permission Granted!"

"Dr. Bose and Dr. Kapoor, here is the official composition of the drugs manufactured by the companies AyurCare, Shanthi Medicals and Bose Group from their own companies as signed by their respective CEOs. Do you find any potentially harmful components in those that are highlighted by the State Pediatrics Committee that you feel should have been avoided or must be avoided in the drugs designed?" questioned Aditi, passing on the file which was scrutinized by both the doctors with great attention to detail.

"All the highlighted drugs pose a risk to the health of the children. Yes, they are very efficient for the usage for adults but pose a risk at the same time, which elevated further in the children," commented Dr. Harshwardhan.

"Also, the concentrations are completely haywire. I wonder, how they got the approval for these drugs with such composition," pointed Dr. Bose, as Aditi smirked slightly as she passed on some papers to be passed on to the Bench.

"Your Honor, here are some articles, published by various recognized journals, which prove our point and the composition of the drugs which was obtained after great struggle in the very court, for quite understandable reasons," remarked Aditi snidely, as Khushi gave up the very hope of Arnav's company getting a clean chit but she felt betrayed at several levels by her husband who kept her in dark and not just played with her emotions but with lives of several others.

"Every company has the right to keep its combinations confidential and that's what my clients were doing! Your Honor, the Prosecution is making this tussle personal now," objected Kunal, the lawyer of Defendants.

"Objection Overruled! Please speak up if you have something to say about the accusations, because I wonder if you will get any other chance to do so, looking at the various details we have obtained," said Dr. Madhuri.

Kunal had almost nothing to say except for a few articles, from lesser known authors and journals, which had lower credibility which he presented but it was known to him from the beginning that it was a lost case.

As the Prosecution received a copy of the articles, Khushi could help but see the silver lining of the scenario. Although it was not proven beyond doubt or established, the drug composition could yield some good effects but nevertheless, the Bench was likely to doubt rather accept.

"After looking into the cases, listening to both the sides, the Bench holds the three companies guilty and immediately terminates their license to manufacture drugs. 75% of their funds are to be seized and offered as a compensation to the victims found in the researches and the rest are to be added to Chief Minister's Fund For the Children. The Case is now closed, but however the option of Appeal still lies in the hands of the Defendants!"

Arnav, on the other hand, felt more defeated than ever before with the Court announcing its decision which effectively closes his company which he had built from scratch through his prime years, sacrificing every bit of his personal life to it. As he slumped to his seat after rising in respect for the Bench when they walked out, he felt the very energy leaving his form.

Despite his pitiful appearance, Khushi could not help but feel myriads of emotions, most of them aligning with resentment arising within her. He had vowed to gain her trust but it seemed like he had destroyed her trust beyond everything, after all, there could be no excuse to manufacture drugs which held so much risk to the population, being a Doctor who thrived to see smile on her patient's face and a mother who loved her children beyond everything.

Was it the end of their relationship or a new beginning?

____________________

Please VOTE and COMMENT! I have been quite disappointed with the response offlate!