TEN - We Leave Together

Since Robin was too busy having a splitting headache (and Greg St. Clare had been here longer than us and was still trapped), it fell to me to come up with a way to get us out of there.

I left Robin in his cell and still in wolf shape, squeezed through the bars, went past my own cell and then Greg's and then another one until I got the end of the row.

The corridor spilled out into a large room with desks in it. Some had been haphazardly shoved away, one flipped over, others looked perfectly normal, two even still had papers that were covered in dust on them, as if their occupants had left for a lunch that had just never ended.

One of those height chart things they used for mugshots was tacked to the wall and I moved past a tipped over camera stand. The perfect setup for photographing bad guys before locking them up.

The whole place felt kind of creepy and the light filtering through boarded up windows at the front of the place didn't help. Neither did the mix of lots of unpleasant scents that still lingered.

Keys.

That was my mission. I needed keys to get Robin out. And Greg, too.

Hopefully before James realized what had happened. That St. Claire had dared to abduct me and Robin. Because he wouldn't take kindly to that, not at all.

St. Claire must have known that though. So why risk it? James' pack, my pack, was no ordinary pack. And St. Claire knew that.

Even before James and I had completed our mate bond, if I'd been kidnapped, James would have come for me. That was what you did for your pack. He would come for me, for Robin, even Lucy. Probably. Sometimes I wasn't sure if James saw Lucy as pack or not. But if it had been Lucy, I'd have made him come.

With me being his mate and Robin his beta, the response would be even more severe.

James would have kill St. Claire.

Even if I could get us out of there somehow and no permanent damage done to either one of us, James would probably challenge and kill St. Claire.

I wondered if I could talk him out of that.

Then I wondered if I should. Everything I'd learnt about St. Claire during my visit, his actions in abducting us, in locking up his own son, in killing a visiting werewolf bringing a warning...that made me think the world maybe would be better off without him.

Yet, both my mom and dad had managed to govern a large population of werewolves without having to kill anyone...well at least not in the last few years. But probably if anyone had taken anyone in our pack, my father would probably have.

The pack protects its own. Always.

And St. Claire knew that.

How did he hope to escape with his life?

Call me and Robin trespassers and trade us for some sort of treaty? But that wouldn't work he'd gotten in contact with us. Asked us to come.

Or lured us?

Maybe James was right all along. Maybe this was a play for territory.

I felt my stomach clench. Why hadn't I backed him up on that? Why had I agreed with Robin? Thought it deserved to be checked out? James was my mate. I should be on his side.

No wonder he didn't trust me.

It stung to admit that he didn't. But I'd known even when he admitted to wanting me in his life and as he embraced the mate bond, that he didn't trust me.