11 | Journey (I)

The moment they stepped out into the open courtyard, Reeca cast a trail tracking spell

The moment they stepped out into the open courtyard, Reeca cast a trail tracking spell. June leaned over. "It's a spell used to make the trail dimension visible to the naked eye."

Xanthy's jaw dropped as thousands of colors flashed to life before her. Wisps of bright energy bled off everything, from the flowers to the walls and the soil underneath the cobblestones, swirling, colliding, speeding towards who knew where.

Some trails stretched for miles beyond what Xanthy's eyes could follow while some were short-lived, disappearing in a blink. Others changed color, glowing in all bright shades that even Xanthy couldn't name. Her own trail bled off her like dye from cloth, exploding into a spark of colors and stretched from where she and her friends came from.

If people see like this all the time, it would truly be a wonderful world.

Reeca's fingers were awash with blue light. Xanthy squinted. It must be the varichria's weaving energy. She watched Reeca flick her fingers, sifting through millions of trails in their area, making some float away from them.

"It's too hard to find a distinct living trail like this, let alone a hiding brownie," Reeca hissed.She turned to scan their faces. " We need another beacon. Who met her?"

June jabbed his thumb in Xanthy's direction. Reeca waded through the trails curling in and out of her. Reeca slapped Xanthy's forehead.

"Ow!" Xanthy blinked, recoiling. She massaged her forehead, frowning. "What was that for?"

Reeca held the hand that slapped Xanthy higher. The blue light pulsed brighter. Other trails screeched away from Reeca, as if her magic was poison. Minutes passed until all that was left was a straight, silver trail snaking through the maze.

Reeca's grin was wide. "As much as I have been dreaming of slapping you in the face, learning to wait is the best decision ever. Talk about hitting two humans with one spell."

"You ape," Xanthy hissed as they moved forward to follow the trail along the turns and twists of the maze.

"Hey!" Nyxis said after a while. "That is not how the saying goes!"

"It does that way to me," Reeca snapped in her halting Ylanenla. "Now, shut up. I am trying to focus."

Nyxis muttered something incorrigible. The trail came to a stop as well as the road. A dead end. Xanthy whirled to Reeca. "What now?"

Reeca scanned the surroundings with her eyes squinted. "She's here."

"Xanthiene?" a voice said behind them.

June yelped, scrambling back when Airene materialized beside him. Nyxis laughed his lungs off for the next two minutes. Airene raised an eyebrow at Xanthy to which she gave her aunt a dismissive shrug.

When both boys had finally calmed down, Airene cleared her throat.

"I assume you've seen the state of Depandes," Airene craned her neck as if she was trying to see what's beyond the wall of manicured hedges. "Where's Cyrdel and Ravalee?"