22 | Reveal (II)

Ezril turned the maximizer in her hand, her lips pressed into a thin line that curled downward at the edges

Ezril turned the maximizer in her hand, her lips pressed into a thin line that curled downward at the edges. Cyrdel twiddled his fingers the whole while that Ravalee had to take his hands into hers to still them.

Xanthy turned to her left and did a double take. The tome of the Soul Spells was propped back to its pedestal. Around the Forbidden Room, traces of damages done by both Xanthy and Marin were cleaned up. If the event wasn't engraved in Xanthy's mind, she could swear that it didn't happen just by being back in this room.

"Knowledge should be given to anyone who seeks it," the High Priestess had said when Xanthy asked her about the absence of guards or security spells around the Soul Spells.

So much for calling it the Forbidden Room, then. It wasn't even a room.

Ezril passed the maximizer to Xanthy. She whirled to the High Priestess, her mouth partially opening. "Reverse it," Ezril said before Xanthy could ask.

"Sorry?" Xanthy blinked at the weight of the maximizer upon her palms as if she wasn't just wrestling for it a few hours ago.

Ezril sighed and tucked her hands inside her sleeves. "If Cyrdel is right about that thing, there's a spell stored inside it and that's what's holding the shadows back," the High Priestess jerked her at the device in Xanthy's hands. "Release the spell and I'll get to work from there."

Oh. Okay.

A sigh escaped from her lips as she brought the maximizer close to her face. Her eyes scanned the mechanisms, understanding exactly how this lump of gears and ores could do the great damage that it did. Warmth flooded her veins as she closed her eyes and called forth her magic. She blew a breath again and tapped into the Virtakios raging inside her.

"Reverse," she chanted, pouring her magic into the maximizer. Something cracked and guttural howls mixed in the air as the maximizer quivered in her hands. Hundreds, thousands of silky substances shot out from the device before flying out in a dozen different directions. When one touched Xanthy's skin, shivers crawled up her arms. Tortured shrieks, whimsical laughs, and haunting voices overlapped with each other as the shadows turned the air into a dark landscape as if the fog from the outside had made it into the Forbidden Room.

Xanthy and her friends ducked as the shadows flew around in a haze. One darted for Reeca's head and the varichria squealed as she ducked. Everyone froze. Reeca never squealed.

Right green light shone from the center of the room. Xanthy whirled to find Ezril having her fingertips pressed against each other by her chest. The High Priestess' eyes were shut. The Soul Spells was open in the High Priestess' hands and ancient words floated above the various voices and howls.

The shadows whirled faster and faster until Ezril shut the tome. Like a smoke being blown by the wind, the dark flurry of soul parts faded with its final, howling whisper. The green light faded as Ezril opened her eyes and regarded the silence that followed with the shadows' disappearance.