1 | Forest (II)

2412 Strilaxis 14, Daleth

The border between Lifver and Flaron was a clearing in the forest that gives way from the high mountains of Lifver to the expansive hill of Flaron. Xanthy's heart skipped a beat when she raked her eyes to the peak of the hill where buildings in a thousand shades of brown stood. At the foot of the hill, vast orchards of trees with leaves of various colors littered the circumference of the base.

Xanthy dragged June and Nyxis through the orchard, drinking in every shade of brown that she can name. She recognized all of them. It's her turn to torture her friends to make them feel what she had been feeling the past week. She yelled every shade of brown she identified.

"Okay, okay! We know what we did to you was horrible," Nyxis repented after Xanthy had named the two-hundredth shade—not that she was actually counting. He covered his ears with his hands. "We get it! You can stop now."

Xanthy stuck her tongue out at him and snickered. "Oh, over there, russet! Chestnut! Hazel! Beige! Umber! Taupe! Tan!"

"For the gods' sake, Xanthy, stop," June lunged to clamp his hand over her mouth. Xanthy danced out of his reach and continued her tirade.

"Where was this person you were supposed to meet?" June's grimace was a wonderful sight to Xanthy.

Xanthy shrugged. "She only said she will find me. So in the moments that we have to wait, I will make you remember a thousand shades of brown!"

"There cannot be that many," Nyxis shook his head and tousled his hair.

Xanthy grinned. "You will see!"

So, they tramped deeper into the orchards, cresting the hill in an attempt to at least the city at the peak. Xanthy got to about a hundred when June hissed at her to be quiet for the millionth time. Nyxis pursed his lips and tried to endure it stoically. She hoped they're reflecting.

Soon, the trees thickened as their growth became less and less rigid compared to the orderly orchards they passed through as they went up the hill. The air turned colder but still contained enough humidity that reminded Xanthy of the Commons region in Cardina. Xanthy stopped yammering about brown and dropped into muted appreciation as they walked along the forest. She could tell that June and Nyxis were relieved.

An hour in, Xanthy didn't know where they were anymore.

Xanthy scanned her surroundings, past the swaying leaves and the midday sun shining down from the canopies. The absence of fog calmed something inside Xanthy but something else swirled at the pit of her gut.

She swore they passed that blue tree with white flowers for the second time but the boys barely entertained her. They must still be salty after the last scheme she pulled on them. But they really must listen to her this time.

Still, they went further. The ground climbed higher and higher as the flat ground carved at the sides of the hill led them towards the peak. Except that they seem to be going nowhere at all. She spotted the blue tree the third time.