💉 p r o l o g u e

w i n t e r , 1 9 1 1

I close the window to cut off the crisp winter air, looking over my shoulder at my two younger siblings. Louis, the youngest, clinging to Camille, the second oldest. Their expressions of pain from the winter chill breaking my heart as I rushed over and covered them with my spare blanket.

"N'as-tu pas froid frère?" ( Are you not cold brother? ) Camille trembled, her fingers reaching towards me and I caught sight of their blue tips. That's when I grab her hand, tucking it comfortably into the blanket.

"Non, je ne suis pas.  Si j'imagine qu'il fait chaud, je n'ai plus froid." ( No I'm not.  If I imagine it's hot, I'm not cold anymore. ) I tell her, Louis grinning at me as he closed his eyes.

"Si j'imagine qu'il fait chaud, je ne serai plus froid?" ( If I imagine it's hot, I will not be cold anymore? ) He asked in a weak voice, and I nod.

"Oui." ( Yes. ) I promise, hoping they'd think about that and almost urge themselves to warm up. I wish I could do something to help them...I could go buy a blanket for 50 EURO coins. Yet at the same time I can't afford it.

They need something warm in their systems and our father is sick. Barely any money is coming in and I have been willing to any job I can get. Cleaning upper class-mens homes, catering in cafes, working in hospitals, anything.

The pay just isn't enough for a four people household.

"Je suis vais au marché pour obtenir du bœuf pour certaines soupe. Soyez bon pour père jusqu'à ce que je reviens, d'accord?" ( I am going to the market to get beef for some soup. Be good for father until I come back, okay? ) I ask them, and they both nod.

I pull back reluctantly, walking out of the room and head into fathers. The creak of the old wood paneled floors giving me away. His eyes opening and when they laid on me he smiled.

"Oui Achille?" ( Yes Achille? )

"Je suis vais au marché. Je ne devrais pas être parti long." ( I am going to the market. I should not be gone long. ) I tell him, grinning when he nodded. As I was about to close the door I heard a soft murmur.

I couldn't really understand it but the only words I made out was "Il faut se méfier...le rouge..." ( Beware...the red... )

Not sure what it was supposed to be really be, but I didn't bother asking. The later it got the colder it became, so I had no time to waste.

Once I left the apartment, I trudged through the winter night. Trying to understand what he meant or fill in the blanks. There wasn't much I could come to and there wasn't much options. Father wasn't a superstitious person. So the fact that he said that is odd to me.

Walking to a dimly lit tent, I headed close until my eyes rested on the town butchers daughter, Corentine. Her green eyes settled on mine and she smiled kindly.

"Je savais que tu viendrais." ( I knew you would come. ) She murmured, reaching behind her and handing me something that was wrapped up. Looking under the cloth there was the beef wrapped in some type of plastic.

I looked back at Corentine with a nice grin, digging my pocket and pulling out €1. Once I hand it to her she holds onto it tightly, confusing me.

"Je n'aurais pas fait cela pour quelqu'un d'autre." ( I would not have done this for someone else. ) She started quietly. My hand letting go of the euro as she stared up at me longingly. Yet I nod in assurance to what she said, understanding what she was trying to say.

"Tu es apprécié.  Merci beaucoup." ( You are appreciated. Thank you very much. ) I say, her cheeks filling with a light crimson. Seeing the flush of her cheeks fill with a red, I suddenly got an eerie feeling. Not sure why, but it caused me to want to go back home." Eh bien, je serai sur mon chemin.  Au revoir." ( Well, I will be on my way. Goodbye. )