FORTY-SEVEN

Lottie counted the footsteps one after another: at least five, maybe six agents only five floors above her

Lottie counted the footsteps one after another: at least five, maybe six agents only five floors above her. She was around the thirty-sixth floor right now, which meant thirty-six floors until the garage and her get away vehicle.

The footsteps were moving faster as Lottie climbed over the side of the railing, casting a quick glance down at the long thirty-six floor drop ahead of her before throwing herself onto the next set of stairs.

Her head shot up as she landed on the stairs, the footsteps above her mixing in with the sound of the familiar metal clanging from just two floors below her.

"Jarvis," Lottie whispered, looking up as the agents neared her and then down to the door that she knew had just opened.

"I detect two hostiles ascending the staircase, Ms. Watson,"

All hopes of making it out of this without a fight disappeared the second Jarvis informed her of the situation. She let out a deep sigh, cocking her gun as she vaulted off the staircase railing and across the open drop in the middle, tackling one of the many agents down the stairs as the other turned in shock.

In the elevator, Steve Rogers had just realized the same thing that Lottie had been sensing: something was off. He was surrounded on all sides by STRIKE agents, and he knew the only way he was getting out of this was to fight.

"So," Steve saw all of the agents stiffen at his words. "Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?"

The first agent turned and lunged with his taser. Steve quickly kicked it out of his hand, throwing the agent off his balance as three others grabbed onto Steve's arms, pinning him to the wall as one went and hit the emergency stop button.

Steve had an arm restraining him around the neck, two others gripping his arms and holding them down. An agent ripped the handle off his briefcase, and Steve quickly realized that it was magnetic. They attached it to one of Steve's wrists and fought against his super soldier strength, trying to attached his hand to the wall behind them.

The man flew back as Steve broke free, kicking him in the knee and sending him flying back into other agents. He quickly punched the two on his sides, throwing his head back into the man holding his neck.

"Steve! Tell me you're having a nice elevator ride!"

"I wouldn't really call it nice, doll!" Steve called back to Lottie as her voice rang through his earpiece, quickly throwing the man behind him over his shoulder and to the ground.

Charlotte Watson wasn't having much luck in the stairwell.

She shot the agent in front of her, roundhouse kicking him and sending him flying over the railing to the ground so far below. Her eyes widened as she ducked, swiping her leg at the second attacker and knocking him to the ground as well, hitting him over the head with her gun before she flew to her feet.