ONE HUNDRED SEVENTEEN

VORMIR, 2014

VORMIR, 2014

All of the stones had been returned, except for one. The golden stone, the one that cost them so much, was the one that Steve Rogers and Charlotte Rogers dreaded returning the most.

Their suits retracted back into their time watches as they stood at the base of the mountain of Vormir. Lottie's breath caught in her throat as she looked up at the mountain before her, the one that had claimed the life of someone so dear.

Steve placed a hand on his wife's shoulder, squeezing it tightly to try and comfort not only her, but himself, before they made the trek up the mountain.

It was silent, the only noise being the slight echoing of the wind in their ears as they ascended to the plateau at the top of the mountain. Flakes of snow fell down onto their skin as they came to a stop, looking around at the deserted planet.

"Charlotte, daughter of Thomas. Steven, son of Sarah,"

Lottie generated her shield, holding it out before them as Steve took a step behind her, no longer having his own shield.

"Who are you?" Steve called out to the floating figure in the shadows, block hood obstructing his face from view.

"I am a guide to all who seek the soul stone, the stonekeeper,"

"We're going to need a bit more than that," Lottie sneered back, charging her blaster in fear that this was a hostile. They had to complete their mission.

The figure stepped out from the shadows, the light of the moon up above shining down on his face as he looked into the eyes of Steve and Lottie.

"Schmidt?" Steve breathed out, Lottie dropping her shield in shock at the sight of the Red Skull before them. The man let the smallest of smiles cross his face as he nodded at the pair.

"It's been a long time Captain America, Slate,"

"How is this even possible?" Lottie whispered as Schmidt took another step toward them.

"When Captain Rogers entered my plane and we fought, I held the Tesseract in the palm of my hand, a power that no ordinary man can wield. It cast me out, banished me here. I've spent my life guiding others to a treasure that I may never possess," Schmidt's face dropped into a frown as he looked between the two before him. "I am not fond of either of you, but you should know that the stone requires a terrible price, one I don't think either of you will be willing to pay. To take the stone-"