#42

T H I R D P O V

"Hey, don't wait up. Just got some things to do." Luke says after the band finishes the soundcheck for tomorrow morning's final concert at their hometown. He was hoping to get a break, after all that's been happening and wanted to make good use of it now.

The boys muttered a small 'okay', except for Michael who Luke was curious why he stared that way and why he waited a bit for the two to be far away before he spoke, "Where are you going?" He asked with a hint of caution in his voice Luke knew all too well. Mikey almost always has been aware no matter how many hours he spent playing his card games, no doubt he knew what Luke was up to.

"Just gotta handle some things." Luke answered timidly. He never wanted anyone to know for the reason that they may get the wrong idea but then that was proven to be impossible when one of his bandmates is so observant.

"Luke. Come on, man. Things are just beginning to get better! You can't do that to Lacey again, do you know that? Are you actually aware of our best friends feelings like—" Luke stopped him from rambling upon putting his hands on his shoulders and pursing his lips. "Luke, give her a break. Stop making her hope for something that you can't do." Michael sure was concerned after his best friend. He only wanted the best for her, he couldn't let anything ruin that. He knew she doesn't deserve this anymore.

"Mike, I'm just going to talk to Cassie. That's all." Luke's answer didn't convince him enough.

"Look, I won't get in any of your business but we're basically brothers. I trust you enough not to break her heart again." That sure struck something in Luke's chest. The way he said, 'again' did a number on him. Mikey left, leaving Luke all to his thoughts as he try his best to fix all the wrong things in his life and finally, finally make it right. He felt as though this was the time to do it and is already in the mission to do so.

Minutes later, he received a call just as he was treading towards the bus, seeing so that the call arrived earlier than expected. [Hey, Luke? I'm almost there.]

"I told you we'll meet at eight-thirty, Cassie."

[I just can't wait to see you.]

"Cass—don't."

[Just wait for me, Luke. I'm close by. We're going to talk about this.]

Luke can't help but frustratingly brush his hair. "Yes." He sighs, "We're going to talk about it."

It didn't take long after the call hang up that the certain girl from the phone arrived in front of him. He didn't know what to say at first, Luke just stood there and couldn't find the words he'd been meaning to say ever since he realized what he truly felt. "Luke, I just wanted to speak first and tell you everything before anything else." He wanted to be the first to get done with it but nodded instead. "The first time I met you, I never actually believed someone like you could be so real, you know? You had me in a heartbeat, no doubt. And when you told me you like me, I was willing to work it out, Lukey. More than fucking willing to make shit better for the both of us, for our future. I know it's been really hard, complicated and had been a really-really shitty year, but let me, Luke. Let me be the one for you. Because I believe we can do this, we can make us better." He cursed inwardly. He cursed and cursed 'til he ran out of curses in the dictionary and couldn't help but be so frustrated than ever before.

This was what he's talking about. "I–I don't know how to lay it out for you, Cass." But then again, Cassie knew this was coming. She just had to try. That maybe, just maybe, there's still more of her than her old best friend, but nope. It was never really that way in her eyes. "I can't–"

"I fucking knew it." She muttered, looking down at her feet all the whilst trying her best not to cry. "I know, Luke."

"Cass, let me finish–"

"I know what I did years ago, Luke. I stole you from my best friend because I was a selfish idiot. I wanted you all for myself and knew that if you love me back, then maybe it was all worth it—losing my best friend because I happen to follow my feelings. Of loving you and proving to you that maybe I could be the one for you. Who knew, right? But hell, you kept thinking about her–don't think for a second I never knew. You kept saying her name in your sleep, your eyes twinkling every fucking time someone posts an old picture of you two—and the way you never look at me like you look at her." She hastily wiped her tears, "I know, Luke. I know you love her so much and was so in denial that it took you years to realize how important she was. That you knew all of that while being with me."

"I won't blame you. I can't blame you. Lacey was a big part of your life before I came into the picture. I just–tried." Luke went against the thoughts in his head and hugged her. So tight as if he's apologizing through it. He never meant to make her feel this way and never meant to feel all of this. He may have been a foolish guy to do the things he has done but he's already making it right. No matter how the truth feels, no matter what.

"I'm so sorry." He loved her, he did. Even for a short amount of time, Luke Hemmings tried loving somebody else. But he couldn't forget about Lacey–couldn't bring himself to move away from her.

"No, Luke. I'm sorry." She pulled away, even if it hurts. She walked away even if she didn't want to. Cassie knew she already lose in the battle and is willing to concede and move on if that's what it takes to finally forget about him.

Luke stayed there for a while, sat at the grass just beside the post lights and heavily sighed while he gathered all his feelings and think about his right and wrongs. Knowing ever since the start that no one ever made him feel that way like his band's fifth half, the one he should've had the balls to ask since day one.

*

Filler chapter + I wanted closure for Cassie. She's not as bad as we all thought she would be (at least not that much.)
Tell me how you feel! 💓
Who should I make about next? Cal or Mike?