Senses

I often enjoy the various sensations I feel with you. I love how my senses combine and create a the most beautiful picture of you.

I see you smile at a distance, your eyes become more beautiful than before as your face lights up with bliss. I see the texture of your lips as you lean in for a kiss.

I feel your gentle hands as they pull my face to yours. I feel the soft cotton of your shirt as I hold onto you. I cling to the warmth emanating from you.

I taste the fruity chapstick you wear. We feed each other our favorite foods; a sweet flavor lingers in my mouth. I taste your love for me in the quick kisses you give me.

I hear your laugh as you talk to your friends. I listen for the jingle of your keys when you come home. I hear your slow breathing as we lay in bed waiting for sleep.

I smell the coffee you make every morning. I bask in your scent as it lingers on your pillows. I smell the citrusy orange I share with you.

But sometimes I wish my senses didn't work.

I see the smile at the corner of your mouth as you text someone else. I see the hearts on the contact that isn't mine. I see the hickeys I didn't leave.

I feel the scratches on your back left by someone else. I feel your longing for someone else. I feel the distance between us grow.

I taste the left over lipstick on your mouth. I taste the disinterest of your kisses. I no longer taste the love you had for me.

I hear you talk on the phone late at night when you think I'm asleep. I hear the flirtatiousness of your voice and the lust in theirs. I hear the kiss goodnight you no longer give to me.

I smell the unfamiliar scent on your clothes. I smell the semi-fresh sweat on your body. I smell the breakfast I made for you, the one you refused to eat because you were "running late".

I sense the one sided love that I have for you.

Now, I see the empty places where my things once were. I feel the weight of my luggage, both emotional and material, as I walk the steps to my car. I taste the tears I just finished crying. I hear the the engine start as I finally leave. I smell the air of a new city. I no longer sense you.

•••